picked up a Egyptian Green Scorpion (Buthacus leptochelys nitzani) at the show today

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bought this little guy at the show today for 20$, i love the green tint to it.:)

^in his cup before i let him go into his new home

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
those are awesome scorps:clap: ive had them aswell very hardy.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those are awesome scorps:clap: ive had them aswell very hardy.
sweet, any care tips? I hear there sensitive to humidity so keep em bone dry? Also the venom on these guys is pretty up there right? Btw i got it at the Chicagoland Animal Hobbyist expo, was anyone else there today?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, keep them dry,corkhide,very small waterdish,that's how i keep all of my hot desert scorps.they do wonderful in that setup,as for venom it's strong,but i don't think it's deadly,but we don't want to find out do we:D good luck with your new addition.:clap:

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Quite clearly a sand dwelling species looking at the length of the legs...nice...sit back and enjoy a nip of absynth while watching this guy.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Quite clearly a sand dwelling species looking at the length of the legs...nice...sit back and enjoy a nip of absynth while watching this guy.
He's not of age, and I belive that's not legal here either.... Good suggestion though. ;)

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah, keep them dry,corkhide,very small waterdish
However if you consolidate some sand and let it dry totally out then they'd rather dig a burrow than hide out under bark....at least mine do.
I'd also be wary about having a water bowl in with them, albeit small as mycosis is attracted to these guys like flies to crap..

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh wow what a pretty scorp. :eek: I didn't know they look soo nice.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
However if you consolidate some sand and let it dry totally out then they'd rather dig a burrow than hide out under bark....at least mine do.
I'd also be wary about having a water bowl in with them, albeit small as mycosis is attracted to these guys like flies to crap..

yea the guy i bought it from(Adam Jansen) was very honest and told me about how there prone to mycosis, so ill be keeping it bone dry and it will get all it needs from its crickets. How do i spot mycosis though so i can keep an eye on it, i dont know much about it. Would it spread to other inverts in the room?

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How do i spot mycosis
Mycosis is a fungal infection that usually appears as a small dark/black blemish or spot typically located on the legs or chela.
As far as i know there isn't really any effective remedy for the problem apart from totally drying out the scorpions enclosure.
However having said that there was mention of a chemical that may be helpfull to a mycosis plagued scorpion...I just can't remember what it was..anyone?
Also if the scorpion is low instar there is evidence that suggests they can get rid of mycosis through ecdysis.

Would it spread to other inverts in the room?
I can't give you a sure fire answer to that question but my guess is that it wouldn't. Maybe someone else can be more specific.
Mycosis only really attacks desert/arid species and amongst these species there seems to be varying degrees of suceptibility.

I had a female B.leptochelys that started with a mild case of mycosis on one of her legs.
Despite total drying out of her enclosure (i never gave her water anyway) and increased ventilation (i rigged up a small computer fan that just had enough clout to create a mild airflow through her enclosure) she eventually died.
I didn't get any mycosis problems with my other scorpions.

JonathanF

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think it would be better for him if you give him sand as a substrate, all Buthacus sp. are sand dwelling and they live mostly in the dunes of Egypt and southern Israel. In my opinion B. Leptochelys is the prettiest sp. of its genus, together with B. yotvatensis which originates from Kibbutz Yotveta (and its surroundings) in southern Israel.

I have no idea whether there are any other ssp. other than ssp. nitzani, but the nitzani you have looks abit different than the nitzani I've seen before. Yours has some darker shade and is basically darker in color than the white-ish yellow-ish ones I've seen before. Maybe a different morph caused by its locality?

P.S It might be interesting for you to know that B. l. nitzani is named after Menachem Nitzan R.I.P, one of the first Israeli arachnologists.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it would be better for him if you give him sand as a substrate, all Buthacus sp. are sand dwelling and they live mostly in the dunes of Egypt and southern Israel. In my opinion B. Leptochelys is the prettiest sp. of its genus, together with B. yotvatensis which originates from Kibbutz Yotveta (and its surroundings) in southern Israel.

I have no idea whether there are any other ssp. other than ssp. nitzani, but the nitzani you have looks abit different than the nitzani I've seen before. Yours has some darker shade and is basically darker in color than the white-ish yellow-ish ones I've seen before. Maybe a different morph caused by its locality?

P.S It might be interesting for you to know that B. l. nitzani is named after Menachem Nitzan R.I.P, one of the first Israeli arachnologists.
It is on sand, that pic it was still in the deli cup that it was sold to me in before i released it into its tank. The dealers just throw cocofiber in all the cups for expos since its cheaper.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well i had it in a Kritter Keeper but I hate those things so i bought a glass 5.5g today to house it in.

and another of the scorp itself

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
man he's nice n shiney,what kind of wax do you use on him? {D just kiddin awesome scorp/setup!