Pick up method.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont mind anyones opinion of what I have posted before, as it was my opinion only. But, I dont think I was being preachy, lol, or that I was looking at it from a moral standpoint, because morals never came into play, only love n money. I would hate to lose one of the Ts I love and spent a lot of money on because I was holding it and it fell, or because it got loose and now I have to bomb the place because I cant find it, lol. Thats all...my dad handles his B. smithi all the time and the darn thang runs to the opening of the enclosure when my dad gets off work n comes thru the door, lol. It wants to be held! So, if u want to hold it, just be careful. I choose not to hold mine (not because of moral reasons though, lol).

Xochie

Arachnopeon
I've only held my T once about 5 yrs ago (while I was under the influence...Sunar, a couple of drinks really helped out..lol), but i'm too chicken to do it again. I envy you all that can. :clap:

Crazyspidergirl

Arachnopeon
my dad takes 1 of my spiders round schools, a b.smithi. she is gentle as anything and would never do anything. hundreds of kids hav held her now from 4yr-olds to 14yr-olds every1 loves her. We just scoop her up or gently prod her onto our hands then prod her from hand to hand. she has never kicked up a hair at any kids so i wuld say she is pretty stress free. She is pretty well travelled aswell cus she always gos the car an has had up to 1hr journeys b4. always being perfect wid ever1.

Xochie

Arachnopeon
hahaha, I like the drinks better, calms me down (can spiders read? j/k)

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i never handle ANY of my ( t ) and never will as the fear of a bite would just be to much stress for me to me they are a look at pet not a pick up one

Cockroach_PL

Arachnopeon
It's better just not to do it. It is stress for a spider, it can fall, get damaged, or simply bite. I do not recommend that. For me it's just fulish, and it doesn't make any of you, handlers, brave, better, of whatever...

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh yeah, i have seen some possible results from washing my skin off with a very weak soap solution prior to handling. it seems like maybe it is the oils that skin exudes that the taras don't "like".

and if you want to cheat, it seems like most animals are less skittish when they are well fed and hydrated. note though, that if you drop a FAT spider the chances of it being injured are much greater. for animals i really don't want to get bit by, i feed them and let them finish their meal and then handle them. this works really well for centipedes. since i have never got bit by a tara (or maybe once by a cute little suntiger sling) it's hard to say what is more and less likely to get me bit ;)
I do this as well with all my bug and snake before handling it works very well IMO to wash your hands before handling. and my favorite tip is there is no better tool for T's than a soft paint brush.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's better just not to do it. It is stress for a spider, it can fall, get damaged, or simply bite. I do not recommend that. For me it's just fulish, and it doesn't make any of you, handlers, brave, better, of whatever...
VERY WELL DONE :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :) ;)

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The pinching method you were told is the worst way to handle a T. If you squeeze just a teency weency bit too hard you will kill the spider. In my experience the best way to handle a T is to gently prod its backleg with a paintbrush to see if it is being calm and docile(if it just walks forward its fine, if it turns to face the brush its not a good idea to handle), then herd it into a cup and let it crawl from the cup to your hands.

sstellw

Arachnopeon
and it doesn't make any of you, handlers, brave, better, of whatever...
It's not really about bravery for me. Although I do enjoy showing off my big gentle smithi, I hold her when no one is around too. I love the way her little claws feel on my skin. And those of you who don't hold your T's, you have all probably held them before. Just to see.

I have picked up a T the way mrjacob7 was originally asking about, but unless you know how to do it regularly and confidently, I'd say there are better methods. Also definately wash your hands after holding your T because little hairs rub off and I find it itches the most between my fingers.

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's not really about bravery for me. Although I do enjoy showing off my big gentle smithi, I hold her when no one is around too. I love the way her little claws feel on my skin
Agreed. I handle my spiders because I enjoy it. I prefer to handle my T's when no one is watching because that way no one can startle my spiders by screaming or blowing on them.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
It's better just not to do it. It is stress for a spider, it can fall, get damaged, or simply bite.
You know, I think its funny to see people so confidently say how bad handling is for the spiders. Let me tell you, its your opinion, and not just fact.

We all know how poor their memory is in the end, and as long as you're careful it is not hurt, whatever 'stress' may be involved, will be short-lived. Heck, every time you spray the cage and droplets happen to hit the spider, it 'stresses them out'.

While there is definately no benefit for the spider, it makes you more confident catching an escapee, and easier when re-housing.
Besides being fun.

-Sean

I won't say anymore. This is arguing an already hi-jacked thread.

TJPotter

Arachnopeon
Yay for... whatever you choose..

I use the paintbrush method with my B. albopilosum. Just put my hand in front of her, nudge with the bristles.. generally, she doesn't budge. So I close up the cage and go on my way. But, if she happens to walk forward onto my (freshly washed) hand, then I let her walk around on me and the floor. Now, with an individual who was getting more and more skittish, I'd back off for awhile (weeks, months if need be), and check her again with a paintbrush. If she is darting around when you are trying to hold her, then just don't hold her, it's just too risky to her, and yourself.

Handling for me is practice. If I can manage when my albo is crawling around on me, then when I am doing maintenance on my Avic slings, it doesn't spook me as bad when they dart out and go for a little jog around my hands and arms, I am not (as) worried. I personally don't see how anyone can raise an avic sling and not have "handled" it... the little buggers come out for a run every time you open the vial.

I also have (unintentionally) held my tiny Tap. plumipes sling. I would never recommend it but it happens. But, again, after having held and dealt with a docile species, I am more confident when the little ones are quicker than I am.

T

Last edited:

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We all know how poor their memory is in the end
Who ever said that their memory is bad. Show me that proof, because there have been studies that show they have remarkable memorys.

After you show me your proof they have bad memorys I want you to ask youself one ? nay picture yourself as 3 inches tall and then picture a 100 foot spider picking you up and playing with you. You would _______ yourself. (you fill in the blank) And that would be classified as stress.

Sorry if I digress from topic.

Now go back to the topic or please do not Post:wall:

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok i am going to clarify on a couple of notes...I will first start off by saying i have been doing this for 11 years and i handle every one of my T's(including my H. lividum which is very calm from me working with her)..Secondly; i believe they do have the ability to associate things and remember to an extent.. My A. versicolor knows for instance when i open the cage i am most likely feeding her; so she comes to the top of her nest to grab the crickets. She associated the opening of the lid with being fed; so why can't they associate certain things with being handled??? Secondly i don't believe it stresses every spider out...Some species more than others it may because they are high strung...Thirdly i have never had any problems in breeding by handling my spiders..Actually i think it is beneficial to an extent because the human interaction is natural so they aren't as freaky about noises that you make because they are used to it. Now to get onto the topic...I don't recommend using a paintbrush or any object of that matter with the exception of the more defensive species...From my experience they react better to the hand than another object...(Note: I have never been bit) When picking one up i recommend putting your hand in front of the T and gently tapping it on the hind legs. If you pick it straight up with your fingers be sure not to apply too much pressure as this can injure the T...Actually i dont recommend novices to use this method at all..That is my imput on this matter.

Last edited:

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Exactly, even if they do have memory that just means they have an ability to become used to handling. The Tarantula Keepers Guide, regarded by many to be the bible of T keeping, reccomends handling on a relatively frequent basis, as it allows the spider and the handler to become more comfortable with it and makes it easier to rescue an escapee or show the layity that tarantulas aren't evil.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hear we go guys its fun and games time this could run and run and i will not run with it --- phil

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's not really about bravery for me. Although I do enjoy showing off my big gentle smithi, I hold her when no one is around too. I love the way her little claws feel on my skin. And those of you who don't hold your T's, you have all probably held them before. Just to see.

I have picked up a T the way mrjacob7 was originally asking about, but unless you know how to do it regularly and confidently, I'd say there are better methods. Also definately wash your hands after holding your T because little hairs rub off and I find it itches the most between my fingers.
one thing about washing your hands after... when i am worried about urticating setae on me i either try to burn them off or try to let the water pressure push them off. i sort of think you can push them into your skin if you just rub them like most ppl do in washing their hands. no proof or anything, just a thought i have.

oh, and i got my first bad reaction to a hairing this sunday. it is just starting to go away. i am firmly convinced that the absolute worst thing you can do to yourself is scratch when it itches. you damage your skin, potentially push the urts farther in and push nail grime in your little micro(or not so micro) wounds. not that knowing it is bad has stopped me at all... i look like i had poison oak or something =P

still going to free handle though =P