Pic of possibly preg. Scorpion...from yesterday..

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Here are 2 pics of the scorpion I posted about yesterday. Maybe I can get a positive species ID and if she is preg. looking.

Can I feed her while she is pregnant, if she is?

Can someone explain to me why their humidity has to be so high???

Thanks for any replies!

Attachments

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Greetings Angela,

I can say that by the chela it appears to be a Heterometrus spp. Not granulated enough to be a Pandinus.

I can't really say if the scorpion is pregnant, nor even if it is a she (you need to look at the ventral side for that).

Q: Can I feed her while she is pregnant, if she is?
A: Yes if it'll take it, sometimes even gravid scorps will not eat.

Q: Can someone explain to me why their humidity has to be so high???
A: Whether it is an Emperor (Pandinus imperator) or an Asian forest (Hetermetrus spp) scorpion these 'animals' come from the tropical rain forests, and as the name implies "Rain" forest there is a high level of humidity.

You would do well to get some deeper substrate (coco fiber or peat), toss the sand (it looks like sand) and put in a place to hide, also the vented KK that it is in does not hold humidity well.

Here is a link that you need to read Basic emperor scorpion (P.imperator) care It is the same type of care for the Heterometrus spp too

Hope you well with your scorpion, Thaedion

Last edited:

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Greetings Angela,

I can say that by the chela it appears to be a Heterometrus spp. Not granulated enough to be a Pandinus.

I can't really say if the scorpion is pregnant, nor even if it is a she (you need to look at the ventral side for that).

Q: Can I feed her while she is pregnant, if she is?
A: Yes if it'll take it, sometimes even gravid scorps will not eat.

Q: Can someone explain to me why their humidity has to be so high???
A: Whether it is an Emperor (Pandinus imperator) or an Asian forest (Hetermetrus spp) scorpion these 'animals' come from the tropical rain forests, and as the name implies "Rain" forest there is a high level of humidity.

You would do well to get some deeper substrate (coco fiber or peat), toss the sand (it looks like sand) and put in a place to hide, also the vented KK that it is in does not hold humidity well.

Here is a link that you need to read Basic emperor scorpion (P.imperator) care It is the same type of care for the Heterometrus spp too

Hope you well with your scorpion, Thaedion

Thanks so much for letting me know, and responding to this post. I have kept Tarantulas for over 10 years, but not Scorpions. I will get her a nice humid environment going this week.

Thanks for the link as well :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey Ang,
It will be difficult to keep the humidity up in that type of cage. IMO the only thing a kritter keeper is good for is a desert species. If you will fix something up like this, it will work much better I promise you that.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like it could be Laoticus. dont see granulation on its body and the telson is black (not that it means much) so its a possibility :D nice scorp though. cant wait for mine to grow up :D and Brian is very right about that style of KK not holding moisture. the other container would work much better. or you could tape up most of the vents on the kk .. but why :p

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
THANKS A LOT for the info.

I did get her in a 5 gallon last night, but I see I need to change again. The tupperware looks suffocating though. Do any of you ever get any mold from such high humidity? I can do this tonight, I don't mind, I want her in the right keeping conditions.

I still need to know if it's a "her" :)

Thanks for all of your help!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do any of you ever get any mold from such high humidity?
I seldom get mold however mites are a continuing battle. In all my humid enclosures I release Isopods (rollie pollies, pill bugs etc) and they seem to help alot in keeping a tank clean. It is important to watch out for uneaten remains. Often a cricket will shed a leg when it gets captured and if not removed will attract a host of unwanten vermin.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
THANKS A LOT for the info.

I did get her in a 5 gallon last night, but I see I need to change again. The tupperware looks suffocating though. Do any of you ever get any mold from such high humidity? I can do this tonight, I don't mind, I want her in the right keeping conditions.

I still need to know if it's a "her" :)

Thanks for all of your help!
Proper ventilation is what basically will protect against mold issues. See how on brians box the rows of holes, (which are on both sides) creates a cross breeze... pushing air through one side and eventually forcing it out the other. Think about it this way... if you take a piece of bread and put it back in the bag and tie it up and leave it, it will mold eventually... but if you take a piece of bread and leave it on the kitchen counter, it will just dry up and crumble.

PS: It's most likely a gal. Give it time, and you'll find out... Could be 5 months before it pops who knows. Usually takes 10-12 months from the time it mates for that type of species.