Pic of new P. regalis

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bill,
Great! What do you think of Poecilotheria?
How big? Looks like it has some size.
john

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
Bill,
Great! What do you think of Poecilotheria?
How big? Looks like it has some size.
john
What do I think of them?
I think all yer damn propaganda pictures got me friggin hooked :p That's two this month already!

It's about 3 inches, maybe a little more. Cost me 30$, which I happily paid and went directly home to show off to my roommate.

By the way, I have a question for you, or anyone else who might know. I seem to recall a while back something about visually sexing P. regalis or another Poke? Know anything about this?

Bill

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bill,
You didn't need me, or my pics to see that Poecilotheria is a wonderful genus of tarantulas. I'm glad you're hooked. You should try Poecilotheria ornata. You'll be amazed to see just how pretty they get with age. Lot's of purples. It's something that's hard to photograph. To see them first hand, you'd be hooked.
Most species of Poecilotheria can be visually sexed when they get some size. The species which are darker ventrally (P. formosa, P. ornata, etc.) are even easier to sex visually. It's simple, females will have a noticeable whiteish "split" at the epigastric furrow. Usually around the 4"+ mark is when you really start to notice it. You will notice it in earlier instars of P. formosa. P. regalis is a bit trickier as the belly band kinda blends and the border is inline with the epigastric furrow. Nonetheless, you can still see it. Just hafta look harder.
This "split" is noticeable in other genera also. I see it in some Avicularia species, though the split is not really white, but more maroonish.
Pic is Poecilotheria formosa. Obvious female.
john

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
[B
Pic is Poecilotheria formosa. Obvious female.
john
[/B]
Thanks a bunch John, Can't wait till my litte P. formosa is near that size :)

Bill

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

the lip is also very visible on adult P.fasciata.

-V