Pic in Rubio's book

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
On the cover of Manny Rubio's book, there is a very cool looking Scorp. What is it? Btw, what Scorp would be good in regards to my not dying if I get stung, as well as it not hiding all the time?
Gillian

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Gillian,

Looks like Scorpio maurus to me, which is, incidentaly, one of the answers to your second question.

There are a couple things to consider with regards to not dying. The first is that regardless of what species stings you, if you are hypersensitive and go into anaphalactic shock, then you will die without medical attention. Barring that, however, there are very few species which will kill you. Good beginner scorpions include those of the genuses Pandinus, Heterometrus, Hadrurus, Hadogenes, Vaejovis, Scorpio, Opisthathalmus, Opisthacanthus and probably several more that I haven't thought of.

Cheers,
Dave

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Dave,
Thanks for your reply. Rather than sending away, I'm opting for a reptile expo, that should be here in November. I was thinking that was a scorpio maurus. :)
Gillian

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
There are a couple things to consider with regards to not dying. The first is that regardless of what species stings you, if you are hypersensitive and go into anaphalactic shock, then you will die without medical attention.

Dave,
To my knowledge, I'm not hypersensitve. I was, however, stung by a yellow jacket last summer. It did itch like crazy, however, no other side effects. Still, it didn't itch as much as I do when my blondi's hairs get loose...OUCH!
Gillian

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Gillian,

Noticed you live in New Mexico, If you have a portable Black Light you should be able to go out into the desert at night and find several different species. You might want to ask Darrin Vernier of Golden Phoenix Exotica where to look and when.

http://www.goldenphoenixexotica.com/index.htm

As far as good and 'safe' starter scorpions...any of the genera that Dave suggested are good choices as well as the ones on the chart of less dangerous scorpions in Rubios book(pages 46-47).

John

Last edited:

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Gillian,

I'm from Albuquerque. There are plenty of nice spots to find scorpions out in Los Lunas. Follow Kugs suggestion and take out a black light if you have one. You can also find Hognose snakes and Desert kingsnakes there. If you want to buy something from a petstore try out Subterranean Jungle in Albuquerque. They are on Morningside just North of Central Ave. Morningside is just a bit past Knob Hill. The guys at Subterranean are the ones that put on the reptile expo in town.