*PIC* Cyriopagopus schioedtei

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Volker,
Did you receive some mature males to look at and compare to the type specimen?? Or did you come to this finding using only females?

Do you believe this species may belong in the genus Phormingochilus (as Rick West has mentioned)?? I've heard Soren's views, do they mirror yours?

And lastly, what do you believe the MONSTER Cyriopagopus specimen in your preserved collection is??? I think a few of us have heard of these giants, are they Cyriopagopus sp. (this is the burning question)? Are they just a large C.schioedtei? Or are we looking at a possible new genus?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well.wow

Hi

Awesome info. volker.

I recognized the the Swedish text in there; "Spindlar från Nikobarerna och andra delar af södra Asien. Kongl.Svenska.Vet.-Acad.Handl.(24)2: 1-149"

That it's old shows in the word "af" (meaning 'from') that today is written as "av" and the word "Kongl" ( abb. from Kongliga=royal) is written in Swedish today as "Kungliga".

Kenny

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi Volker,
Did you receive some mature males to look at and compare to the type specimen?? Or did you come to this finding using only females?

Hey Steve,

I've received matured males and females of the Pettrade Cyriopagopus "thorelli" which I'd compared to the drawing of the Material from Cyriopagopus schioedtei,which is deposited in London and which is that Material, from which Pocock made his examination and description concerning this Species. As I told before, because of the fact that I don't know the male Type-Specimen of the original Cyriopagopus thorelli , which was described by Simon, I can't say whether the Petrade Cyriopagopus "thorelli" is also identical to that Type-Specimen. But I can say that the Pettrade Cyriopagopus "thorelli" is definitely identical to the examined Material of Cyriopagopus schioedtei ! So, it doesn't matter to me whether the Petrade Cyr. "thorelli" is identical to the original Cyriopagopus thorelli or not,because, if it is identical, we have to synonymise Cyriopagopus thorelli with Cyriopagopus schioedtei and this means, the Pettrade Material will be named as Cyriopagopus schioedtei, in every case!

Do you believe this species may belong in the genus Phormingochilus (as Rick West has mentioned)?? I've heard Soren's views, do they mirror yours?
I don't know Sören's view about that, but I've told my opinion to him.I don't know also Rick's opinion, because I haven't talked to him since a few months (he seems to be very busy)!
Im definitely of the opinion that you can distinguish Cyriopagopus and it's Sistergroup Phormingochilus by one very distinct autapomorphy (=new character within a clade of a monophylum). Cyriopagopus-Species have a distinct row of Spines on the ventral - apical Tibia of Palp from at least 4 Spines, but normally more (up to 10-14). Phormingochilus lacks this Spines! I've compared my Cyriopagopus Material (at least 4 different Species) concerning this character with the Type-Material from Phormingochilus everetti and Phormingochilus tigrinus and two further Phormingochilus Species which are in my collection and I've never found more than 2 Spines (mostly no Spines) in this area within the Phormingochilus Species!

And lastly, what do you believe the MONSTER Cyriopagopus specimen in your preserved collection is??? I think a few of us have heard of these giants, are they Cyriopagopus sp. (this is the burning question)? Are they just a large C.schioedtei? Or are we looking at a possible new genus?
Do you mean that huge Species with the "black triangle" on the Carapace? I've examined one Specimen from Ray Gabriels collection and what shall I say, she has really a lot of Spines on Tibia of Palp and shares also the most other more or less "typical" Cyriopagopus characters! To my opinion undoubtedly a Cyriopagopus but highly likely another Species than Cyriopagopus schioedtei!

Cheers, Volker

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Amazing pictures.... incredible discussion!! Thanks guys!

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
BEAUTIFUL creature! :)

What is the green stuff you have it on? It looks like some kind of moss other than the brown peat moss I'm used to seeing. :?

Wysi

Originally posted by Martin H.

Cyriopagopus schioedtei

fresh molted female:

and a relatively fresh molted female:

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Re: Re: *PIC* Cyriopagopus schioedtei

Hi Wysi,

Originally posted by WYSIWYG

What is the green stuff you have it on? It looks like some kind of moss other than the brown peat moss I'm used to seeing. :?
it's "living" moss I took from the woods for this photosession.

all the best,
Martin

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Martin,

Great pics!! This is amongst my favorite of the Asians! Beautiful tarantulas! and thanks to you and Volker for the great info on C. schioedtei!!

Best wishes,

Paul

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by VolkervonWirth
Hey Steve,

and this means, the Pettrade Material will be named as Cyriopagopus schioedtei, in every case!

I see, thanks Volker.

Do you mean that huge Species with the "black triangle" on the Carapace? I've examined one Specimen from Ray Gabriels collection and what shall I say, she has really a lot of Spines on Tibia of Palp and shares also the most other more or less "typical" Cyriopagopus characters! To my opinion undoubtedly a Cyriopagopus but highly likely another Species than Cyriopagopus schioedtei!

And thankyou for this info too. I believe this is the species I am talking about. Quite amazing to know of an arboreal Asian old worlder that can get to the size of T.blondi, maybe bigger. I've heard there are other Asians which haven't been described yet that get real big too, should be interesting to see what turns up in the next few years.

Cheers,
Steve

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And in comparison, a 5" female Cyriopagopus schioedtei

Note the colour difference!

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, now that was a learning lesson and a half. Thanks Volker and Martin. I have two juvies and I can't wait to see them all grown up. I sure can't hold mine though like Vayu did. My two have some serious attitude, not to mention they like to throw fits when I mess with them or move them into bigger cages. Still love them though.

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man some times I wish I lived in Germany! But I live in Sweden and It isn't so far away ;)

I like schioedtei. Beutifult T's! Cant wait until mine is adult. Its about 3" now and it is 100% female :D