Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Cyriopagopus schioedtei

fresh molted female:

and a relatively fresh molted female:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Damn that is one might fine looking tarantula!

How closely are Cyriopagapus related to Haplopelma? I know that the Haps are reputed to have a rather strong venom. Should the same be expected to be true about this genus? What about its defensiveness? How does this one compare to that of the average haplopelma?

Jon

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Martin your gonna make me cry with these great pics, cant wait till mine get that big

Doug

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Very lovely specimens Martin!
They're my favs.
Can we officially call them Cyriopagopus schioedtei now? Or pet trade C. thorelli?
john

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
You've got some wonderful looking "kids" in your collection Martin! Almost enough to push me back into trying a few more OW'ers again, or maybe an aggressive NW'er...

Yeah, I'm still an arachnophobic arachnoholic.....:rolleyes: :) :cool: :p :D

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Delonigan

Originally posted by LaRiz

Very lovely specimens Martin!
They're my favs.
Can we officially call them Cyriopagopus schioedtei now? Or pet trade C. thorelli?
john
I was wondering the same thing.. is the name change official?
have they ever been officially IDed as C. thorelli or is it just a pet trade ID/name: "Imported from Malaysia – What comes from Malaysia? – C. thorelli and C. schioedtei are from Malaysia. – OK, let's sell them as C. thorelli." =;-(
BTW, C. thorelli is described by a single adult male. In the beginning all the ones in the pet trade had been females. Makes me wonder who has IDed the first one in the pet trade as C. thorelli...

Why I call mine C. schioedtei? Volker von Wirth has compared several Material sold as "C. thorelli" here in Europe with material of the BMNH (Nr. 1968-2-27-68). That is very similar to the specimens which are sold here as "C. thorelli" => that's why he thinks (at the moment *g*) that they are C. schioedtei respectively the ones he has seen so far.
See also this article:
  • VON WIRTH, V. (2002): Welche Spinne ist das? DeArGe Mitteilungen 7(11): 6-13.
You can download this article here for free: >>click here<<

But I don't know what they sell in the USA as "C. thorelli". =;-)

all the best,
Martin

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, that is a stunning T. Especially in the first picture where you can really see the orangey hairs on it's abdomen.

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Incredible pics Martin! :) You must be very proud.

We recently added this T to our high priority list after falling in love with an adult female of this sp. at the ATS conference. Rosemary Craft had it and used it in her handling demonstration. Actually, my son and myself were allowed to handle the Earthtiger (not recommended) for a little while and she completely melted our hearts! Of all the Asians, this sp. (whichever it is ;)) has become our favorite.
W'ell certainly let it be known when we get ours. :)

Atrax

p.s. someone has pics of the one I'm talking about...Botar maybe, I dunno but I'll post 'em if I can find 'em.

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well..

Hi

My 2-3 inch T of this spices looks like the C. thorelli/schioedtei in vayu son pic so I guess mine is also a C.schioedtei/thorelli,,well it's a real awesome tarantula and I hope it will have a name soon..:D

At least "thorelli" is easy to say:D

Kenny

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good Morning,

okay, Martin answered your taxonomic questions but I want to give some more informations on it. As Martin said, Cyriopagopus thorelli was described on a single male from north Malaysia by Eugene Simon in 1901 [Simon, E. (1901): On the Arachnida collected during the Skeat expedition to the Malay Peninsula. Proc. zool. Soc. Lond. 1901(2): 45-84.]. The Species Cyriopagopus schioedtei was described earlier than Cyr. thorelli on a male also from north Malaysia (but from the Island Penang) by Tamerland Thorell in 1891 [Thorell, T. (1891): Spindlar från Nikobarerna och andra delar af södra Asien. Kongl. Svenska. Vet.-Acad. Handl. 24(2): 1-149.]. The female of the last mentioned Species was described by Pocock in 1895 [Pocock, R. I. (1895): On a new and natural grouping of some of the Oriental genera of Mygalomorphae, with descriptions of new genera and species. Ann. Mag. nat. Hist. (6) 15: 165-184.]. As you can see,the descriptions are more than 100 Years old and they concentrate on a lot of characters from which we now know that they are useless for the identification of Theraphosid Spiders, like distances between the eyes, shape of Fovea and length relations of Leg segments...! So, what has this to do with the Pettrade "Cyriopagopus thorelli" (I'm the opinion that the US-Material which is sold under that name is identical to the european Material - my examinations of both shows no differences)? In the beginning of the 90's of the last century there was a specimen of the Subfamily Ornithoctoninae imported from Malaysia by an english supplier named Ian Wallace. He gave this adult female tarantula to the english Poecilotheria expert Peter Kirk. Peter himself made pictures of this sensational tarantula and published them in several Tarantula Magazines, like the BTS-Journal, under the name: Cyriopagopus thorelli! Well, as we can see above, Cyriopagopus thorelli was only described on an adult male. Peter received an adult female. My question is: How can someone identify an adult female belonging to a Species XY, if this Species is only known from an adult male (without having another adult male, which is surely the mate to the female, for comparison)??? For a long time this one from Peter was the only known alive Cyriopagopus Specimen outside from Malaysia. In the end of the 90's I've recognised that there were some Specimen available in the US under the name "Cyriopagopus thorelli" (and they've looked identical to Peters Specimen). A little bit later there was also Material under this name in europe available. I've received US and european material for examination. In the meantime I've also received the drawings of the main taxonomical characters of the Cyriopagopus schioedtei Material which is deposited in the BMNH from my friend Andrew Smith. I'd compared my Material with this drawings and I can't find any differences from the Pettrade "Cyriopagopus thorelli" to the Typematerial of Cyr. schioedtei which is deposited in London. So, I came to the conclusion that the Pettrade Material is nothing else than Criopagopus schioedtei! I haven't any knowledge about the Type(!!!)-Specimen of Cyriopagopus thorelli, which must be deposited in Cambridge to my knowledge. But, if the Pettrade "Cyriop. thorelli" is identical to Cyriopagopus schioedeti (I'm sure!!!) and if it also fits to the original Cyriopag. thorelli male, than it is clear that both Cyriopagopus - Species are synonymous, because they obviously belong to one and the same Species. Because of the Name-priority (see the rules of the ICZN) of Cyriop. schiodtei - it was earlier described - the name Cyriop. thorelli will die. This means that the Petrade so called "Cyriopagopus thorelli" is in every case a Cyriopagopus schioedtei! It could be that Simon's original Cyriopagopus thorelli male is another Species than Cyriopagopus schioedtei (further examinations on the male type-Specimen of Cyr. thorelli will show this).But if this is the case, it is still the situation that the Pettrade "Cyriopagopus thorelli" has nothing to do with the original Cyriopagopus thorelli, because the Petrade species is undoubted an Cyr. schioedtei! Hard stuff,isn't it?;P :8o :? ;)

@Jon:

Cyriopagopus is next related to Ornithoctonus and this again seems to be the Sistergroup of Haplopelma.This means, Cyriopagopus and Haplopelma are indeed related, but not next to each other! I don't know if they have the same power of the venom but - at least my Specimen - of Cyriopagopus schioedtei are very agressiv!

Cheers, Volker

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Now that's what I call info! Thanks a frickin' ton Volker!
john

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
Now that's what I call info! Thanks a frickin' ton Volker!
john
I was just about to say the exact same thing :D

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well that's certainly cleared a few things up, thanks Volker! I might see if I can get translations of some of those articles from my university library.

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lostkat
Well that's certainly cleared a few things up, thanks Volker! I might see if I can get translations of some of those articles from my university library.
Hi,

if you need the original and/or secondary literature for your study, I can send them as pdf.-files to you!

Cheers, Volker

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by VolkervonWirth
Hi,
if you need the original and/or secondary literature for your study, I can send them as pdf.-files to you!
Cheers, Volker
You have a PM. Thanks!
john

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by VolkervonWirth
Hi,

Cheers, Volker
Wow, thanks!

You have a pm from me too :)