Phyrnus marginemaculatus breeding

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How easy/difficult are these to breed?
I really want to be breed them at might be getting 5 individuals, setting me back quite a bit, parents wont look to kindly on me getting any more inverts ever again if they just drop dead without breeding after that :(

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Anyone here ever bred them then?
Anyway here's their set up, thinking of planting a fern behind the large amonite on the right.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hi,
i breed them since hmm 2years now, second generation. no problems anyway. keeping like all Phrynus spp. with a little hibernation, adult females seperated houses, just for the mating together with the males.

... so any specific questions?

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Does my set up look ok for the time that they are together before seperation?
How do they hibernate in captivity?

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yes looks ok, but you cannot do much wrong ;)
important are just hiding places, humidity, tempreature, and a place where they can molt "head to the ground"

i put them 4 weeks to 20°C in my second room on the ground... but this depends on the origins... mine are from florida... but i don'T know exactly... so just a little bit after giving birth in late summer.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ah ok :)
So they need hibernating after they give birth?
Would the young also hibernate with them?
I made sure there are many hiding places for each of them, there's quite a bit of moss at the back which should help the humidity :)
Mine were apparanty got from Florida aswell, but not sure exactly :confused:
Thanks again for the replies :)

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i think it is not nessesary... but you have in januar periods with 15°C during the night... so it might be good for them. i also put the youngs after the 2nd molt a little bit colder.
no problem for the questions!!

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thats good to know, one more question, how many individuals would you reccomend for a good chance of breeding?
I was getting 5 but the seller just told me im getting 3, pretty annoyed :wall:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats good to know, one more question, how many individuals would you reccomend for a good chance of breeding?
I was getting 5 but the seller just told me im getting 3, pretty annoyed :wall:
what does that matter if you can get only 3. Do you want to create the rest? :confused: :D;)

anyways, 5 would increase the chance of having both sexes, but maybe you are lucky.....

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I ordered 5, paid for 5, even checked their site days later and apparantly they still had some left, but i got an email to say im now only getting 3. I wanted 5 because i really want to breed them. The only species available over here commonly is just Damon diadema, would be great if another species was succesfully bred. 5 would give me a good chance of mixed sexes, just 3 is really pushing it, as for luck i rarely have any :wall:

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well i've just finally got back home and im not getting just 3 whip scorpions, they are MISSING 3 whip scorpions. Meaning im going to get 2 unsexed individuals, im going to cancel if they havent already sent them. Looks like the only ones we'll be able to get here are the same old D.diadema :(

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well i've just finally got back home and im not getting just 3 whip scorpions, they are MISSING 3 whip scorpions. Meaning im going to get 2 unsexed individuals, im going to cancel if they havent already sent them. Looks like the only ones we'll be able to get here are the same old D.diadema :(
keep in touch with Banshee05, he sometimes sells whips.......

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dont think i can afford oversea's postage though :(
Well my 2 arrived today, they seem healthy, but im going to see if anyone round here wanted to trade for more D.diadema, rather have a better chance breeding them than a remote chance breeding these :(

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
it is realy no problem to raise them and breed, so if you have luck, this two are enogh. Otherwise i can ship in spring-early summer. but it is always risky with whip spiders.
keep in touch.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The pair i got seem lively and healthy, they only brought in 15 which they said they lost a lot in a short space of time :confused:
I havent had a proper look at them, but one does seem to have a slightly more slender abdomen which is greener than the other one. I suspect its just moulted and the colouration is developing. Its a shame that the remaining Phrynus was split up, it would of been better if one person had lots to breed with than a cpuple people have a two at most :(

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
of course, i am always the meaning that this is the better way, especially in that kind of species. Not much people realy love and breed them over a longer period of time, so it is very important just to sell every time a breeding group, not single species, etc.
contact me in spring again via mail.
bye