Phymata Pennsylvanica Jagged Ambush Bug care?

Babiestkobold

Arachnopeon
I've got about 9 P.Pennsylvanica ambush bugs I collected and identified a few days ago. I'm wondering if anyone has care advice for them? Right now they are in a small container with some goldenrod and I plan to upgrade the container to something bigger soon. I've tried feeding them waxworms and pinhead crickets but I've had no luck so far. The only thing I've seen them eat is a dronefly three specimens had caught when collecting so I put them in the container with the dead fly. Do they need bottleflies or fruitflies perhaps? They seem to occasionally drink the nectar or at least condensation from the flowers as well. Does anyone have recommendations for substrate or should I keep it empty? I have creature sand or sphagnum moss available right now if those might work perhaps. Should I add additional sticks beside the goldenrod stem? I've heard they sometimes hang out on other sticks so it might add some enrichment perhaps. Any info would be appreciated! I love these guys and I wanna see them do well!
-5138951305245600157_121.jpg

Ajohnson5263

Arachnosquire
I have no experience with these but you've certainly piqued my interest! I would first wonder whether or not they are communal. Not all carnivorous Hemiptera thrive in groups, some may cannibalize. One paper I read found no evidence of cannibalism, but this may not be the case in captivity. P. Pennsylvania seems to be a generalist pollinator feeder and will take down prey much larger than itself (sometimes mated pairs will even work together). I would stick with larger flies for feeding. you can purchase housefly pupae online. I would raise the pupae and release live flies into the enclosure for them to catch. Obviously, these guys like to hang out near flowers (maybe they are even drawn in by ultraviolet light). I would set them up in a tall container with more vertical than horizontal space. I don't think any substrates are important unless you have a hard time keeping up humidity unless they need it to lay eggs. If you want to use live plants, I would try placing a few orchids or peace lilies (I think these plants flower for longer periods) in a mesh enclosure. Maybe just have a potted plant inside a mesh enclosure for butterflies. Or use artificial flowers in an extra enclosure?
Doesn't seem like a lot of folks keep these so you're a pioneer for this! Make sure to document all your trial and errors. Btw, how did you catch/locate them?

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Holy crap OP, I had forgot these existed until I saw this thread! Definitely a very interesting insect, I will be watching this thread.

Babiestkobold

Arachnopeon
Short update because I’ve been away for a day but right now they seem to be doing fine together in their 5x5x5 container. I got one that’s about 6x6x12 that I’m going to transfer them to. Yesterday I was able to get them to eat by releasing about 15-20 pinhead crickets into the tem enclosure which they seemed to take once the crickets got on the flowers. I’ll keep using the crickets for now and try some flies later. I’ve also seen plenty of mating and coupling so that’s good. I’ll update everyone once the new enclosure is set up and they have a new plant.

Babiestkobold

Arachnopeon
Also for collection I simply went to a local field and found them on golden-rod flowers. I’m in Southern Ontario and I feed them pretty often on these flowers.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Also for collection I simply went to a local field and found them on golden-rod flowers. I’m in Southern Ontario and I feed them pretty often on these flowers.
How big are they in Ontario? Largest assassin bug I've found in manitoba was about an inch, and it wasn't technically native.

Babiestkobold

Arachnopeon
Something I didn’t mention was was a few deaths I had over the last two or three days. During that time I lost 4 individuals. After I fed the other 5 and saw them taking pinheads I assumed the Rey would be ok. Unfortunately, today, another four passed away. I decided to return the last one to the field I found her in rather than keep her alone. For now this is the end but perhaps in the spring I’ll try again with some nymphs. It’s possible the animals were simply old as it is the end of the season but it could be other things. Hopefully I’ll have more to post soon.

Babiestkobold

Arachnopeon
I definitely do want to try again as these guys are so cool but I think I’ll need some more prep prior to.