Phrynus whitei husbandry

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I rate Phrynus whitei among the easiest amblypygid species to keep. They tolerate various humidity conditions (don't let it dry out completely though), and can even survive brief cold periods. However, it is important to remember that P. whitei is a polymorphic species and regarded as a species complex in much need of revision. The ones I keep come from Honduras, and they do not look like your typical P. whitei, lacking the bright spots near the lateral eyes and sporting a jet black color. They may very well be a different species. Yours seem to originate from a Costa Rican or a Guatemalan population.
Generally speaking,the same conditions that are good for keeping Phrynus barbadensis can be applied for Phrynus whitei.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Just brought home a Phrynus whitei and I know it needs higher humidity than other species of tailless whip scorpions, but I can’t seem to find much else regarding husbandry!
Also, how did you manage to get whitei in the us? The only species I’ve seen are marginemaculatus, carolynae, medius, and diadema.

Michrich

Arachnopeon
I rate Phrynus whitei among the easiest amblypygid species to keep. They tolerate various humidity conditions (don't let it dry out completely though), and can even survive brief cold periods. However, it is important to remember that P. whitei is a polymorphic species and regarded as a species complex in much need of revision. The ones I keep come from Honduras, and they do not look like your typical P. whitei, lacking the bright spots near the lateral eyes and sporting a jet black color. They may very well be a different species. Yours seem to originate from a Costa Rican or a Guatemalan population.
Generally speaking,the same conditions that are good for keeping Phrynus barbadensis can be applied for Phrynus whitei.
Great, thank you! I have it in my warm and humid room with my more tropical tarantula species so it should be perfect in there. Do they move around their enclosures much? I have it in a pretty small container right now (5x5x8) but it never really moves from behind it’s cork bark so I was wondering if it was fine in that or if it would do better with more room to roam?

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Great, thank you! I have it in my warm and humid room with my more tropical tarantula species so it should be perfect in there. Do they move around their enclosures much? I have it in a pretty small container right now (5x5x8) but it never really moves from behind it’s cork bark so I was wondering if it was fine in that or if it would do better with more room to roam?
I have mine in a 6"x4"x9" tall food storage container and it's happy as a pig in poop. Rarely moves, except to wave those whips around or nab a cricket. I keep its substrate moist but not soaked, and have a small (~1.5" square) wire screen vent on top. No additional heating or humidity, just room temperature. I add water to its substrate if I see it hanging out closer to the bottom. Easy-peasy.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Seems that paraphrynus and phrynus species are becoming more popular here in the states. I’ve heard reports that there’s even some cubensis available now! Hopefully we can get more people to start keeping these guys, I’d love to establish these in the hobby and stop having to collect damon medius and whatnot from the wild.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Paraphrynus cubensis is VERY easy, not something I would say about other Paraphrynus species.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Don’t mean to derail the thread, but what makes the other paraphrynus difficult to care for? How about P. carolynae? I’ve seen those for sale occasionally but couldn’t find much care info about them.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
They are not difficult to care for, but if you are interested in long-term keeping and breeding there is seasonality and environmental factors that are required as triggers. Many of those are not yet well understood.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
They are not difficult to care for, but if you are interested in long-term keeping and breeding there is seasonality and environmental factors that are required as triggers. Many of those are not yet well understood.
Sorry to bring this up but how does breeding go with these guys? Is it easy and are there any conditions that they need to successfully breed? Thanks!

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
It doesn't go...
Well, that not accurate. Sometimes it goes and sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the seasonal environmental conditions, the species, and I would even say the actual individuals sometimes. Pairing them seems straightforward but often the eggs go bad later and females discard them. P. cubensis seems to be the easiest, P. viridiceps is the next in rank, maybe P. raptator is the third. But I have a lot of problems with raptator lately, I think my animals are very old.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Ah ok, what conditions do paraphrynus need, and is there anyway to prevent them from going bad? Would reducing moisture/overall humidity help, although that could also dessicate and dehydrate the individuals too

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
let me enter here with some notes on Paraphrynus species.
I have a couple of species since many years in breeding, including the Cuban ones (cubensis, viridiceps and robustus), laevifrons from Panama, raptator from wizentrop, aztecus, and a new undescribed species from Mexico. Formally I kept carolynae and mexicanus, and several other species with just 1 or 2 specimens to raise.
A keeping and raising is with all easy and no big deal, but this is true for nearly all whip spiders once you have captive breed animals. There are just a few exceptions and maybe the whole charinids, except C. acosta (which is easier than easy and together with E. bacillifer the most suitable for any beginner). The issue starts with the reproduction, as Gil correctly said. Some are very fast growing and mating early in life, other take long. e.g. cubensis is fast, partly able to be kept in groups, but really at least as adults together. The other cuban one take a lot of time, I raised them always 3-4 years till I had the first succesfull eggsac; but as cubensis, raising is very easy. Paraphrynus aztecus is also vey easy, even it is a Mexican species with more saisionality. P. carolynae and mexicanus were a mess for me, and especially the former one, hardly hatching any eggsac. Kept them warm and wet, cold and dry, 3 months at 12°C etc, nothing worked out fine. I need once to collect them by myself and check out the environment, getting a better feeling how to keep and trigger them, because they are very colourful. Contrarly to Gil, I have so far no problems with the Central American species, laevifrons and raptator. A succesfull mating is a bit tricky, because they have dry and wet seasons and usually they have their eggsac in March-April in nature, you need to handle it somehow, but such a big deal. The sp.nov. from Mexico seems to be different, VERY slowly growing, in general a small species, close related to mexicanus and the other members of the aztecus-group. I struggeled always just to get a few offsprign for the next generation, such as A. coronatus. But now I think I have the trigger and the important feature. Not sure now, but currently 5 females are caryyinga an eggsac, and this are 6-years aged females. If it works, I tell you how.
So generally, members of the genus Paraphrynus are a bit more complicated, but for sure worth to give it a try. Easier are by far Phrynus, western African Damon, and Charon grayi from the Philippines. All the rest needs somehow more feeling and timing.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
^ words of wisdom up there.
Not only some species are tricky, and sometimes individual animals are simply not successful at breeding, but as you can see results can vary greatly between keepers. We just have to try harder.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sure, some generation and even specimens are different. e.g. I struggeled with the the F3 Charon grayi type species, had only one female left, luckily she produced one last eggsac and now I have 30 adult specimens here. One generation goes well another is a mess. Maternal effects?