(Phrynus Marginemaculatus) Florida Tailless Whip Scorpion Vivarium size

DSOUTHERNER

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone. I'm looking to start a vivarium for a (Phrynus Marginemaculatus) Florida Tailless Whip Scorpion. I'll be finding a good retailer/breeder after I get the vivarium established and ensure the rest of the ecosystem in it is healthy. I am trying to decide on the best enclosure dimensions for my whip scorpion, I know it's main body and primary legs are only a few inches but it's whips can get in the 1ft range (if I've been reading correctly). I have read on here and seen videos of them being kept in small enclosures but I want it to be able to move around freely if it wants. I am currently looking into a standard 29 gallon tank, but I am really open to other suggestions. Would 29 gallons support more than one eventually? I have heard they can be communal depending on the individual's temperments. Again I am trying to make a vivarium not just a jar with a whip scorpion in it. Also will they naturally prey on isopods if they are present in the vivarium or are they pretty strict about preferring crickets.

Thanks in advance for any help, the info on these guys is kinda sparse aside from everyone stating how docile they are.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure if marginemaculatus will eat isopods, but isopods can certainly harm or kill a moulting amblypygi. If you decide you really want isopods, go with one of the dwarf species that tends to stay in the substrate to reduce the risk to your amblypygi.

There are a lot of really good reasons most people don't tend to keep amblypygi in very large ornate vivaria.
1. Prey is harder to find, and especially with plants and such, hard to capture
2. Live prey running around free for extended periods are a hazard to a moulting amblypygi, and cause stress
3. Amblypygi naturally choose to live in small crevices, and will be stressed out by wide open spaces
4. No matter how much space you give your amblypygi, it's going to spend the vast majority of its time sitting in one spot, because that's what amblypygi do.

Now of course this doesn't mean you can't have a large vivarium. It just means you need to be smart about how you set it up:
1. Minimal decoration - don't provide leafy or complex areas for prey to hide.
2. Provide narrower vertical gaps for the amblypygi to hide in - for instance a tall cork slab leaning up against the glass (amblypygi don't see well, so the glass doesn't make them feel exposed - they treat it like any other solid surface)
3. Feed larger prey with lower frequency so the amblypygi is more likely to be hungry and go for it immediately and it won't be able to hide as easily

29 gallons is *enormous* and would certainly support a small colony. Heck, you could put 2-3 in a 5 gallon easily. I'm not going to tell you not to set up an oversized vivarium for your animal, but if your concern is for the animal's needs and comfort, you will be much better off with a smaller, simpler setup.

DSOUTHERNER

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much! I've spent days trying to get good info for these guys; I will look into a more practical sized vivarium and stick with either dwarf isopods or just springtails.