Phrynus marginemaculatus communality?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Anyone kept these together(both sexes) successfully?

or

have a link to sci. paper that confirms their possibility as a communal species?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have some juveniles that I keep separate, because I don't want to risk losing one. I think I let Michael (Banshee) answer this one, as I don't remember what he told me about this.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,
in juv. stages you can keep them togther, in that case, they would raise faster (also with the mother for the first 3ecidys). BUT adult female may kill step by step juv-sub males, and also females... if both of them molt/skinn you can keep them for half a year ore more togther, but before the first signs for molting starts, seperate them.

their are no papers beloning on social network or communal breeding on that species, either on that genus, or in the whole Phrynidae (Heterophryninae, Phryninae), but on the Damoninae, e.g. Damon diadema by Linda Rayor.

RAYOR Linda S., TAYLOR Lisa Anne (2006): Social Behavior in Amblypygids, and a Reassessment of Arachnid Social Patterns. The Journal of Arachnology 34: 399-421
RAYOR Linda S., WALSH Rachel E. (2008): Kin discrimination in the amblypygid, Damon diadema. The Journal of Arachnology 36:336–343
RAYOR Linda S. (2002): Family ties (unexpected social behavior in an improbale arachnid, the whip spider

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
That was my suspicion as none of my specimens were together when captured, save for one female and a very young instar. Thank you for the references!