Phrynus longipes sexing

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
I believe I have two genders here though one is far older/larger than the other. I dont believe there are many keepers of this species but can someone determine which is male and which is female?
20190612_091109.jpg

-JohnD.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Great thank you Gil for chiming in! in that case the female is much smaller than the male and I assume he is quite old as well. Hopefully I can get her to size before the male passes as they are my only pair of the red form.

-JohnD.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Here it would be the shape of the genital operculum. It is round in males and more straight-lined in females.
In this case it is very easy to see (at least for me), but it doesn't mean that it's easy in other species. Some are very tricky to sex externally and the best way to do it is using molts.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
@wizentrop Can you help me with another ventral sexing? These are Heterophrynus sp. (Not sure which one though but Heterophrynus for sure.) 20190917_082816.jpg

-JohnD.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I would say the bottom one is a male and the other is female HOWEVER Heterophrynus are not so easy to sex from photos. Better to inspect the molts when you have some.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Noted! Thanks for your input! Ill be sure to get pictures of their exuvia when I get the chance!

-JohnD.