Phrynichus Ceylonicus Care

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Anyone here have experience with this particular species of whipspider? Setup pictures are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Orchidlove

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Michael is the one breeding ceylonicus. I only have Phrynichus deflersi arabicus.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I can't say, the two species are found in different regions of the world.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I kept Phrynichus dhofariensis and P. deflerso arabicus (but never breed this one) in the past. Currently Phrynichus exophthalmus, P. jayakari and P. ceylonicus from several spots in Sri Lanka. One to say, keeping CB and raising is here not the deal, just P. jayakari seems to need some particular setup; generating the offspring is the issue.
Anyway, P. ceylonicus are the easiest one! Just humid and warm, juveniles single housed, adults in pairs, it works pretty well and you will have nearly no looses during raising. The only think you need is time, they are not the fatest getting ready for reproduction.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
I kept Phrynichus dhofariensis and P. deflerso arabicus (but never breed this one) in the past. Currently Phrynichus exophthalmus, P. jayakari and P. ceylonicus from several spots in Sri Lanka. One to say, keeping CB and raising is here not the deal, just P. jayakari seems to need some particular setup; generating the offspring is the issue.
Anyway, P. ceylonicus are the easiest one! Just humid and warm, juveniles single housed, adults in pairs, it works pretty well and you will have nearly no looses during raising. The only think you need is time, they are not the fatest getting ready for reproduction.
Thank you! :)

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
You say adults in pairs. Does this species not do well in bigger communal groups?

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Okay thank you. I’m not experienced with Amblypygids, I’m mainly into scorpions, but considering getting some, after doing a lot of research of course. I thought most species were more communal.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You’re only supposed to keep pairs together for breeding purposes. Otherwise cannibalism may occur.
that's not correct. many species work well in adults in paris. Some NEED it, because they mate quite often.
In same species it doesn't work, I keep ceylonicus always in pairs in bigger boxes, the moult, mate, reproduce serveral times without any issue, just transfer the youngs, or easier, the adults into an new box.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
that's not correct. many species work well in adults in paris. Some NEED it, because they mate quite often.
In same species it doesn't work, I keep ceylonicus always in pairs in bigger boxes, the moult, mate, reproduce serveral times without any issue, just transfer the youngs, or easier, the adults into an new box.
Fascinating, thank you for correcting my ignorance.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
no worry about. Whips are not so common as they should be in the hobby.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the correction! But you would only recommend keeping in pairs, not bigger groups? Would like to start a communal of Amblypygi, but only if it’ll work well of course. And only with adults!

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the correction! But you would only recommend keeping in pairs, not bigger groups? Would like to start a communal of Amblypygi, but only if it’ll work well of course. And only with adults!
There’s only one species common in the hobby (Phrynus marginemaculatus) that can be kept communally with minimal cannibalism, and that’s mostly because they’re tiny, so it’s fairly easy to give them enough room that they are less likely to cannibalize. Any amblypygi will readily cannibalize if they don’t have enough space to escape each other, or enough food to keep them well-fed. Even mating pairs will sometimes experience cannibalism.
Obviously if you’re able to give them lots of space you reduce the chances of cannibalism, but there will always be a risk.

Last edited:

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Okay thanks, good to know. I will do a lot more reading and I’m not in a hurry at all, but this gives me a good starting point.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
There’s only one species common in the hobby (Phrynus marginemaculatus) that can be kept communally with minimal cannibalism, and that’s mostly because they’re tiny, so it’s fairly easy to give them enough room that they are less likely to cannibalize. Any amblypygi will readily cannibalize if they don’t have enough space to escape each other, or enough food to keep them well-fed. Even mating pairs will sometimes experience cannibalism.
Obviously if you’re able to give them lots of space you reduce the chances of cannibalism, but there will always be a risk.
again, not true! I do not know how many different species you kept or speaking about.
But neither it is true with P. marginemaculatus (it depends on the populations, and a special balance between group size, age and box-size...a minimal variation and only a single specimen will survive), etc etc., nor with 'many others' you are refering.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Okay, it seems complicated. Obviously Amblypygi as a whole are not as communal as I thought. I might just keep a pair then, of whatever species I choose. Thanks for all the input!

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
again, not true! I do not know how many different species you kept or speaking about.
But neither it is true with P. marginemaculatus (it depends on the populations, and a special balance between group size, age and box-size...a minimal variation and only a single specimen will survive), etc etc., nor with 'many others' you are refering.
I will defer to your considerably greater knowledge!

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
;) no worry about. I also always try to post something with caution, as maybe one take it for sure. As usual, we deal with living animals...it is seldom always the same in the end.