Phrixotrichus vulpinus

Paul Osullivan

Arachnosquire
Hi DiscoSpidersInc, I think I could help you. I purchased 2x vulpinus and 2x scrofra about 5 moths ago. I have unfortunately lost 1 for an unknown reason, but it was the last to molt out of the four and could have been stuck in the molt. I think yours look about the size of mine now, so a bit past the 'very delicate stage'. I keep mine in small 2"x3"x2" clear acrylic tubs with a 2 cm circular mesh on the top. I add some moss to the coir and sand and have a bit of cork bark in there too. They seem to be quite happy out in the open and don't seem to web much. I keep one half a bit more damp than the other and keep 22 oC - 24 oC with only a little draught from a fan once or twice a week for a few hours and they seem to be doing ok, apart from the one that died. They snatch runner nymphs usually when put near them or later once a bit quieter when left and also scavenge chopped mealworm and likely the spring tails that eat what the spider doesn't eat as they are very small as you see. But the nymph red runner is best I would say.

I think they tend to eat better in slightly warmer temps, but too high and they would probably dehydrate as they don't seem to want to stay under anything, or in a burrow, often climbing the sides and top.

DiscoSpidersInc

Arachnopeon
Thank you Paul, that is really good info! I keep the temp in my spider room between 77-82. I’ve been following the same husbandry you described and it seems happy. Fingers crossed it stays healthy!

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I don’t want to be a bearer of ill omen but the fact that the spiderling is not webbing gives me the feeling that it’s not adapting to it’s environment.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I don’t want to be a bearer of ill omen but the fact that the spiderling is not webbing gives me the feeling that it’s not adapting to it’s environment.
This is actually pretty typical of Chilean tarantulas. They roam a ton and don’t take to hides especially as slings. A lot of mine do eventually web but it takes forever. I’ve been experimenting with different ways of keeping them to try to make them more comfortable. In the wild a lot of these burrow under big rocks and are right under the rock. No big burrows into the ground. Which is hard to recreate because I’m not letting my tiny slings burrow under a heavy rock that could easily crush them. Maybe something flat that is lighter weight 🤔

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
This is actually pretty typical of Chilean tarantulas. They roam a ton and don’t take to hides especially as slings. A lot of mine do eventually web but it takes forever. I’ve been experimenting with different ways of keeping them to try to make them more comfortable. In the wild a lot of these burrow under big rocks and are right under the rock. No big burrows into the ground. Which is hard to recreate because I’m not letting my tiny slings burrow under a heavy rock that could easily crush them. Maybe someone flat that is lighter weight 🤔
I have noticed that many live under rocks from the footage I’ve seen. So I suppose it’s hard for them to adapt to a captive environment, especially since this is the first generation for many of these Chilean species. Maybe a flat rock would work

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Hi DiscoSpidersInc, I think I could help you. I purchased 2x vulpinus and 2x scrofra about 5 moths ago. I have unfortunately lost 1 for an unknown reason, but it was the last to molt out of the four and could have been stuck in the molt. I think yours look about the size of mine now, so a bit past the 'very delicate stage'. I keep mine in small 2"x3"x2" clear acrylic tubs with a 2 cm circular mesh on the top. I add some moss to the coir and sand and have a bit of cork bark in there too. They seem to be quite happy out in the open and don't seem to web much. I keep one half a bit more damp than the other and keep 22 oC - 24 oC with only a little draught from a fan once or twice a week for a few hours and they seem to be doing ok, apart from the one that died. They snatch runner nymphs usually when put near them or later once a bit quieter when left and also scavenge chopped mealworm and likely the spring tails that eat what the spider doesn't eat as they are very small as you see. But the nymph red runner is best I would say.

I think they tend to eat better in slightly warmer temps, but too high and they would probably dehydrate as they don't seem to want to stay under anything, or in a burrow, often climbing the sides and top.
Are they terrestrial or arboreal? I've heard they are arboreals that like some floor space to roam. Is that true IYE?

Paul Osullivan

Arachnosquire
This is actually pretty typical of Chilean tarantulas. They roam a ton and don’t take to hides especially as slings. A lot of mine do eventually web but it takes forever. I’ve been experimenting with different ways of keeping them to try to make them more comfortable. In the wild a lot of these burrow under big rocks and are right under the rock. No big burrows into the ground. Which is hard to recreate because I’m not letting my tiny slings burrow under a heavy rock that could easily crush them. Maybe something flat that is lighter weight 🤔
🤔

That's interesting to know. They have made a web mat while molting, but otherwise are out in the open a lot. They don't really like to hide under the cork bark that's there. Being so small maybe, they have laid web, but it's too fine to see, but they are eating and growing, so guess that's a good indicator!

Are they terrestrial or arboreal? I've heard they are arboreals that like some floor space to roam. Is that true IYE?
Oh I have seen a picture of them in a nest on the top of some plants/ grasses a couple of feet off the ground and also on a rock face. I will put one in a taller enclosure and let you know how it's doing in a few months. I think after loosing one, it could be worth keeping the babies with the mum a bit longer, but it could be just my bad luck.

Here's one of mine shortly after receiving one.

Thank you Paul, that is really good info! I keep the temp in my spider room between 77-82. I’ve been following the same husbandry you described and it seems happy. Fingers crossed it stays healthy!
That's good to hear 😊 I think they have successfully raised some sling's and did fine as you would keep regular slings..

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Just spoke to two sellers that have kept them (kind of) successfully.
See here:

@Paul Osullivan did you keep yours in a completely terrestrial setup?

Paul Osullivan

Arachnosquire
@Paul Osullivan did you keep yours in a completely terrestrial setup?
I have yes. There is some cork bark and substrate which hold a nice ammount of himidity, but not much room to fall and injure. They seem to be doing ok. I like the mantis net idea also, that could be good if they decide to build a web above the ground..

I have yes. There is some cork bark and substrate which hold a nice ammount of himidity, but not much room to fall and injure. They seem to be doing ok. I like the mantis net idea also, that could be good if they decide to build a web above the ground..
It looks like they incorporate the grass as web anchors when making protection for the egg sack.. or maybe line the burrow with silk. I guess some grass and twigs may provide some cover for them also so they feel protected somewhat, I may add some to my enclosures..

IMG_20220910_175155.jpg IMG_20220910_175203.jpg

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I’ve actually read that thread a couple times but a little harder to create for slings in dram vials. My euathlus slings spend a lot of time on the side of the dram. Doesn’t matter if it’s dry, slightly moist, damp. Or if they have cover, I don’t use cork in tiny set ups but I can give them tiny fake leaves. Warm or cool. Nothing seems to make them want to burrow or even stay on the ground. And they are very obviously terrestrials. My older specimens settle down fairly well but takes them longer than some species. Next time I rehouse I’ll try to give them something like that. I’ve seen lots of footage of them in the wild (euathlus) and they are often found directly under rocks.

I have no idea about phrixotrichus, I haven’t kept them yet. Just a guess based on other species in Chile. They could be completely different for all I know. But I wouldn’t automatically assume they are arboreal. I’d first assume they aren’t settling like we’d hope.

Phobic1

Arachnopeon
A lot of the imports(wild caught) brought in the hobby died and if I'm not mistaken all the breeding attempts have failed
I read on birdspiders.ch that they do not fare well in captivity at all. For 300 bucks to get a spider that wont last is risky. Ya need to be a real spider whisperer.

A lot of the imports(wild caught) brought in the hobby died and if I'm not mistaken all the breeding attempts have failed
I read on
I've heard it's because they live in the mountains and very high elevations, so in captivity it's very hard for us to replicate the conditions in those areas which they need to thrive.

T. blondi, T. apophysis and Cyriopagopus sp. bach ma should be ready to breed this year. Thanks for asking!
<edit>
birdspiders.ch that they do not fare well in captivity at all. For 300 bucks to get a spider that wont last is risky. Ya need to be a real spider whisperer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Osullivan

Arachnosquire
N2/3 P vulpinus. I think after loosing one out of four, I'm feeling more confident they will thrive like other spiders I've raised from slings, they are growing well at least. IMG20221017175205.jpg IMG20221017175215.jpg