Photosensitivity in tarantulas

Paiige

Arachnobaron
So there's a thread on this from back in 2010, but

A. it's been seven years since then, and
B. it seems like the majority of Ts people have noted to be more light-sensitive than others are fossorial, which makes sense, or are pokies.

Taking this into consideration, I'm curious to know what your observations on this are. I've noticed my pesky G. pulchripes is extremely sensitive to light. I know they're considered nocturnal hunters, but this is true of her even when she's recently been fed and isn't hungry. I'm sure at least some of the Ts named photosensitive are probably noted as such because, honestly, no one likes randomly having a bright light shined in their face, especially when you live "underground" and are accustomed to darkness. I'm sure the vibrations attributed to running up to your T and fumbling for the flashlight on your phone are also probable cause for your T to turn tail and run.

My G. pulchripes will not leave her hide if the light is on. I've been scared that she's dead a few times because of this. Shining a flashlight, same thing. I've experimented with shining lights through both sides of her hide and she will literally turn and face the other direction. I've never experienced this with a T, and there was a period in time when my GBB's enclosure was in direct sunlight for a brief period of the day and he seemed to rather enjoy sunbathing, though I suspect that had more to do with temperature.

I did a little bit of reading and have a little bit of an understanding of how this works with other critters - i.e. orb weavers apparently can see "better" when it's darker and some spp. of scorpions have vision up to 1000x times more sensitive in the dark (Friedrich G. Barth) . So assuming this may or may not be true of some Ts, this would lead them to be more 'comfortable' when it's darker, especially since they don't have the best vision overall.

This little T of mine is driving me nuts and I'm really just trying to understand her better.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
my most photosensitive are H mac, H cf hercules, O sp hatihati, and my L borneo black. my pokies are pretty tolerant.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I find arboreals to be the most sensitive to light. Especially the Asian sp.

I wouldnt worry about your pulchripes not coming out. As it turns juvenile it will be out more. Mine dont budge at all when the lights go on. Most of my terrestrials are fine. My Africans tend to get spooked now and then

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ZgRKH3qgffd0FYUjFQWVFRQkk/view?usp=drivesdk

Only on Aphonopelma chalcodes, but suggests a dual-sensitivity at near-UV & again at the green/blue spectrum. Explains why black lights are a bad idea & why they don't react to red light. I use a red LED flashlight & an LED light strip to illuminate the enclosures without any apparent reaction with all my Ts. They do react to white white light, although Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens & Aphonopelma seemani don't really seem to care other than drawing their knees up over their eyes.

I haven't found that it's been replicated or tested on other species, but would be interested in reading anything you know of.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ZgRKH3qgffd0FYUjFQWVFRQkk/view?usp=drivesdk

Only on Aphonopelma chalcodes, but suggests a dual-sensitivity at near-UV & again at the green/blue spectrum. Explains why black lights are a bad idea & why they don't react to red light. I use a red LED flashlight & an LED light strip to illuminate the enclosures without any apparent reaction with all my Ts. They do react to white white light, although Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens & Aphonopelma seemani don't really seem to care other than drawing their knees up over their eyes.

I haven't found that it's been replicated or tested on other species, but would be interested in reading anything you know of.
Thank you! Neurobiology of Arachnids by Friedrich G. Barth is on my reading list right now, I've pulled bits and pieces from online sources because it's technically a textbook (did a "nearest library search" and the closest one is Harvard University) and I can't seem to find it for under $100 anywhere else. If you end up finding them cheaper, please let me know! :D

I wouldnt worry about your pulchripes not coming out. As it turns juvenile it will be out more.
Yeah about that, it was underground for so long that I'd kind of forgotten how big it is. I definitely wouldn't consider it a sling anymore :sorry:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yeah about that, it was underground for so long that I'd kind of forgotten how big it is. I definitely wouldn't consider it a sling anymore :sorry:
Well. Grown on :p.

What until roughly 2.5-3". Then they are great for display :)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Well. Grown on :p.

What until roughly 2.5-3". Then they are great for display :)
I'll trust you on that, we shall see :D I wouldn't be surprised if I just end up with another T that behaves the exact opposite of how it's supposed to

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Thank you! Neurobiology of Arachnids by Friedrich G. Barth is on my reading list right now, I've pulled bits and pieces from online sources because it's technically a textbook (did a "nearest library search" and the closest one is Harvard University) and I can't seem to find it for under $100 anywhere else. If you end up finding them cheaper, please let me know! :D
Whoa. I didn't even know this existed, I could tap on your enclosure right now. :astonished:

You can buy a digital edition suitable for tablet reading on Google Play for $40! EDIT: You can RENT it for $40, jumped the gun.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Whoa. I didn't even know this existed, I could tap on your enclosure right now. :astonished:

You can buy a digital edition suitable for tablet reading on Google Play for $40! EDIT: You can RENT it for $40, jumped the gun.
Thank you! :eek::D

EDIT: Still cool. I may just go ahead and buy a physical copy, I have a book hoarding problem anyway :)

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic

Paiige

Arachnobaron

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
My P. metallica is not sensitive to light at all. I can shine my LED flashlight on him and he will be completely unphased. The only one of my Ts that seems to be bothered by light is my A. diversipes sling, who will retreat to his little web chamber of I shine a light on him.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I am new to T's and have only had my two slings (b. albo and b. vagans) for a week. That being said, I've noticed that both of them will have times when they don't seem to mind a flashlight (I try to shine it at an angle so it's not directly in their face lol) and other times they will shy away. Also, neither of them seem to mind the desk lamp I have on their shelf, for the most part, and I have caught them both seemingly basking in the light (it has an energy saver bulb so as not to put off too much excess heat), but there are also times when my little b. albo won't come out of the lower part of her tunnel until I lower the lamp to a dusk-type lighting. Unless, of course, it's to snatch up an unknowing roach that made it's way into her burrow and drag it back into the abyss (a girl after my own heart :D). I do want to get a red flashlight, though, just to reduce any stress I can on the little guys.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am on-board with red lights. I have multiple Red LED flashlights and a desk lamp fitted with a red light. My eyes are quite use to them and my tarantulas are not bothered by use of them.

Red lights are actually better for humans when getting up from bed for a bathroom trip (or to leave yourself a reminder when you suddenly remember you forgot to do something at 3 AM). They don't hurt my eyes and allow me to quickly return to sleep state.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
My juvy LP goes ballistic when the flashlight or camera flash is on her.

Jeff23

Arachnolord

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
I am interested in getting that book. If someone has it I would like to get their opinion.

While we are on books, are either of these good books as well?

A Spider’s World: Senses and Behavior
by Friedrich G. Barth
https://www.amazon.com/Spiders-Worl...849&sr=1-4&keywords=Neurobiology+of+Arachnids

Biology of Spiders 3rd Edition
by Rainer Foelix (Author)
https://www.amazon.com/Biology-Spid...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XAY18G7RJBN2MCAQ54ZG
I can't speak for the first, but now have another book to buy. A $170 is a helluva price tag, though. Why must there be a war in my wallet between knowing more about spiders & actually owning them? :rolleyes:

I can speak to the second & I think it's pretty spectacular. Accessible language, reasonably priced. It's a suitable introductory textbook that for someone sufficiently interested is a captivating read. My only criticism is that it has black & white illustrations rather than a full-color layout (TKG is an example of this done well), which would add significantly to the pleasure of reading. Regardless, it's about to get a second more careful reading since I devoured it like a starving beagle the first go around.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I have a few different species ranging from NW to OW, Terrestrial and arboreal and the only ones that move away from the light are my 3 P. irminias and a couple of my LP slings. My G. pulchripes, even when it was a sling, never hid much. My 2 B. vagans juveniles are rarely out for display as they stay hidden in their "caves" (the suspect male is still very much in plain sight due to the fact he made his "cave" at the wall of his enclosure lol). My P. muticus pretty much bolts away from any type of vibration that isn't food related, but yes, the P. irminias definitely do not like light. My Animal Room is generally dark in there except for my Fire Belly Toads' tank, they get a lamp on during the day and the blinds open for what bit of sunlight is able to make it through the trees from the back of the apartment building.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I am interested in getting that book. If someone has it I would like to get their opinion.

While we are on books, are either of these good books as well?

A Spider’s World: Senses and Behavior
by Friedrich G. Barth
https://www.amazon.com/Spiders-Worl...849&sr=1-4&keywords=Neurobiology+of+Arachnids

Biology of Spiders 3rd Edition
by Rainer Foelix (Author)
https://www.amazon.com/Biology-Spid...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XAY18G7RJBN2MCAQ54ZG
I haven't read them but will add them to the list! Thanks

I can't speak for the first, but now have another book to buy. A $170 is a helluva price tag, though. Why must there be a war in my wallet between knowing more about spiders & actually owning them? :rolleyes:
I agree with you there...$170 could certainly complete my NW terrestrial list :cyclops: