Photography tips?

Arachnida

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, here is a thread I should have started about a week ago.
I notice that when you guys take photographs of your animals, they usually come out really nice and clear. My photographs, on the other hand, came out poor and blurry.
How do you get your photos to look the way they do? Any advice, tips, etc? Any advice you can give me on how to take nice photographs of an inverts ventral surface will be especially prized, as I have absolutely no clue as to how to go about doing it.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Arachnida
Ok, here is a thread I should have started about a week ago.
I notice that when you guys take photographs of your animals, they usually come out really nice and clear. My photographs, on the other hand, came out poor and blurry.
How do you get your photos to look the way they do? Any advice, tips, etc? Any advice you can give me on how to take nice photographs of an inverts ventral surface will be especially prized, as I have absolutely no clue as to how to go about doing it.
first off, what kind of equipment are you using? a lot of how your pictures turn out is dependant on your equipment.......secondly....practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more. experiment with your camera's flash, try taking pictures outside using natural available light and no flash (I have found for instance that my cam takes macros the best using the cam's flash) not every picture is perfect and very few pictures end up being POD (Picture Of the Day) quality. if you are taking pictures of a t's ventral surface through glass or plastic then take the picture from an angle so the flash will not show in the picture, again, practice and experiment. if you are using a digital cam there is no reason not to take a lot of pics as the ones you don't like can be deleted.
Ed

Last edited:

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For starters get a tripod as it can become your best friend for getting clear shots. Also the practice advice is the best you can get as even a crappy camera can give good shots once you learn what conditions it does best in.

On the flash thing I don't use it unless I am on high speed mode to compensate for an animal that won't sit still.

Phil

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Take a photography course. I am, and it is really helpful !!