Photography peeps - I'm looking to buy a dSLR camera - recommendations?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dpreview.com actually gave the 40D a slightly higher review than the 50D and considers it more of a "sister camera than a replacement"
Exactly. The 40D is still in Canon's lineup AFAIK, as they recognize this also.

Basically, the 50D upgrades the onboard computer, and adds some ( unnecessary ) software gadgets. The sensor has higher resolution, but lower per-pixel sharpness and less resistance to "noise" (critical for low-light photography).

So...the 50D might be the newer model, but it isn't a clear-cut improvement, especially in terms of image quality. The upgrades essentially amount to faster image processing and more shooting options, not better pictures.

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow! thanks for the review site.

Now I think I like the Nikon D90 the best out of the three reviewed. But of course will ask the store to show similar cameras. The D90 is similar to what others listed that they use. (Nikon D40, D60 and D80 I've seen on this thread).

But I do have questions/concerns. I noticed that some cameras do not have autofocus in the body - leaving that up to the lens. So I admit I rejected one camera because of that.

Now for me, the camera must auto focus a wide variety of lenses. If this means an auto focus in the camera body itself then so be it. When I asked the store about a camera that would be able to use a wide variety of lenses – for example canon lenses on a Nikon – I was told that most lens manufactures built in adjustments that allowed use with other camera bodies.

BUT this is useless to me if the autofocus in the camera won’t work with the lens. If I get a Nikon – and want a sigma macro lens – the lens NEEDS to be able to autofocus. Of course I’ll use manual focus for some things, but my eyesight is not good enough to really be able to manually focus as well as an auto focus would. I’m used to pushing the shutter half way down and having the camera focus lock. I need a camera that will do this with the majority of lenses that are compatible with it, regardless of type.

If this is not possible then I need to select a camera where I’ll only be using that manufacturers lenses. (That is, I don’t want to by a Nikon if in the future the best macro lens for a decent price is a canon, and because of that the auto focus won’t work.)

So if you can give me some insite on this, please do. :)

I also wanted to make sure I understand the lens compatibility. the Nikon D90 states: 1) DX AF NIKKOR: All functions possible
2)D-/G-type AF NIKKOR (excluding IX NIKKOR lenses): All functions possible (excluding PC Micro-NIKKOR)
3)AF NIKKOR other than D-/G-type (excluding lenses for F3AF): All functions except 3D-Color Matrix Metering II possible
4)AI-P NIKKOR: All functions except autofocus, 3D-Color Matrix Metering II possible
Non-CPU AI NIKKOR: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in exposure modes A and M but exposure meter does not function. Electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is 5.6 or faster; Color Matrix Metering and aperture value display provided if user provides.

So I did a search on DX AF NIKKOR and found the following lenses:

http://mikescamera.com/spec_sheet.html?catalog[name]=Nikon-AF-S-18-55mm-DX-Nikkor-f%2F3.5-5.6G-VR-DX-AF-NIKKOR&catalog[product_guids][0]=9c84540b-9acd-4f99-9b5d-0b2b8fa37c0e

http://mikescamera.com/spec_sheet.html?catalog[name]=Nikon-AF-S-55-200mm-VR-DX-Zoom-Nikkor-F%2F4-5.6G-ED-DX-AF-NIKKOR&catalog[product_guids][0]=d06d1f14-4a42-4ff7-bdb1-4d515d5b2bc8

So would these be fully compaitible down to being able to use autofocus?
I'm guessing these are basic lenses, but with the body being so expencive, this is the only way I can get under 1500. I can always upgrade the lenses in the future - and of course add a macro. In fact, what WOULD be the best macro lens with this camera in terms of full compaitiblity?

Thanks again.

- Sharon

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is good that you are doing some research and thinking about your purchase carefully. However, I think you are over-thinking this a bit. If you go to the following website that I have linked you will see a ton of sigma lenses that will auto focus with a D90. Most newer lenses will work just fine and be fully compatible because they are made to work with different cameras. A sigma, tokina, or tamron lens with a nikon mount is a little different than the same lens with a canon mount. You mostly have trouble with older lenses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=274&N=4293919655+4291220258+4294185277

I am not trying to get you to buy a certain brand of lens. I am just showing you that you don't have to limit yourself. If you are unsure about compatiblity a quick phone call to a retailer like bhphotovideo.com or adorama.com with sort it out for you. They are the two big online retailers.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BUT this is useless to me if the autofocus in the camera won’t work with the lens. If I get a Nikon – and want a sigma macro lens – the lens NEEDS to be able to autofocus. Of course I’ll use manual focus for some things, but my eyesight is not good enough to really be able to manually focus as well as an auto focus would.
From experience, dont use AF for macro work... especially not on a lens of comparable size to the one that I suggested. You can manually focus, and get some very nice shots even if you have not soo great vision, that is the great thing about digital. With an 8gb sd card I get about 1.3k photos in raw, I can take 20-30 photos of one thing and not waste a thing but a minute or two, you can ease the camera closer/further away depending on which needs to be done and take a large number of shots without worry. ;) (All my photos are manually focused as well...)

If this is not possible then I need to select a camera where I’ll only be using that manufacturers lenses. (That is, I don’t want to by a Nikon if in the future the best macro lens for a decent price is a canon, and because of that the auto focus won’t work.)

So if you can give me some insite on this, please do. :)
Well...you are kinda SOL on that front already, to be honest. When a photographer chooses a line they rarely change, I like Nikons others here like Canon, and I think there are a couple minolta, olympus, lecia, and other brand people around here too... Yes, you can use some lenses on different brands(with an adapter)...will they work as well as intended? No, you will have severely decreased functionality in any modern lens... Choose a line and stick with it... or buy one of each(Nikon/Canon). Remember that other manufacturers almost always make their lenses in *both* mounts, so if you are looking at lens brands other than Nikon/Canon, take that into account...

A quick note...at the moment, and as far as I know the foreseeable future, the "best" macro lens that is a single lens is made by Canon, the MPE-65. But similar levels of magnification can be achieved fairly simply using a set of extension tubes/teleconverter/reversal ring...just more work and more gear to carry.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The Walmart flyer today had a EOS Rebel XS with 18-55 lens for <$400CDN. This seems to be cheaper than people are selling the same model used on kijiji. I did a quick look at the specs etc. and it seems like it has most of the features I would use .. let's face it, I'm going to spend more on my lighting setup and macro lens than on any body once I switch to SLR (or back to SLR if you count the film ones .. used to use a film SLR before I went digital).

That being said, I've been intentionally ignoring the dSLR market since it is just too tempting to blow my budget. So I'm not really sure what the shortfalls of this particular model are. Anyone care to bring me up to speed? I see that it lacks spot metering and can't take quite as many shots in rapid-fire mode in comparison to a 450D. But is this a really good opportunity for me to finally grab a camera with a proper CMOS chip rather than a CCD? Or am I likely to be sorely disappointed once my skills catch up and I find myself trying to stretch the natural capabilities of the camera?

Cheers,
Dave

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Walmart flyer today had a EOS Rebel XS with 18-55 lens for <$400CDN. This seems to be cheaper than people are selling the same model used on kijiji. I did a quick look at the specs etc. and it seems like it has most of the features I would use .. let's face it, I'm going to spend more on my lighting setup and macro lens than on any body once I switch to SLR (or back to SLR if you count the film ones .. used to use a film SLR before I went digital).

That being said, I've been intentionally ignoring the dSLR market since it is just too tempting to blow my budget. So I'm not really sure what the shortfalls of this particular model are. Anyone care to bring me up to speed? I see that it lacks spot metering and can't take quite as many shots in rapid-fire mode in comparison to a 450D. But is this a really good opportunity for me to finally grab a camera with a proper CMOS chip rather than a CCD? Or am I likely to be sorely disappointed once my skills catch up and I find myself trying to stretch the natural capabilities of the camera?

Cheers,
Dave
It is a good camera although it doesn't have some of the stuff I like to use. I have been in the photography hobby for a long time though. I have found that most cameras with the quick setting options on the control dial are too basic for me. I use spot metering all the time. If you have an image with a lot of contrast it is almost a must to spot meter unless you want the average of the entire frame. The camera is around 2 years old now so resale might suffer a bit if you do get rid of it. Just some things to think about.

CMOS is better technology, but I don't think it is the big deal that many make it out to be. I print 13X19 inch prints all the time with my D200 that look great and compare just fine to CMOS sensors.

Here is the write up for it I think:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1000d/