Photo shoots

magicmed

Arachnobaron
How on earth do you guys get these amazing pictures of your spiders? Every time I try to take a pic I end up scaring the little bugger back into its hide. I've seen some beautiful pictures here, I'm not expecting super quality with my phones camera, but a photogenic tarantula would be nice!

Any tips on how to not scare the T when opening the enclosure to snap a pic?

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
I would just take out the lid, then just watch it until it resurfaces. (Might take awhile) My little spiderling only gets into it's burrow when I open the lid to feed it, but if I leave it open it usually comes out and I take a few photos.

louise f

Arachnoangel
How on earth do you guys get these amazing pictures of your spiders? Every time I try to take a pic I end up scaring the little bugger back into its hide. I've seen some beautiful pictures here, I'm not expecting super quality with my phones camera, but a photogenic tarantula would be nice!

It can be hard to get some shots without them running and hiding, when opening the enclosures. I just simply open wait till they come out again. Sometimes they do sometimes not. :bored::D

You got to have patience. Sometimes i use food for lurking them out of their hides :p;) Good luck with the photos :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Feeding them helps. It gets them to the surface and slows them down for a bit. That works especially well with my two GBB girlies.
It really depends on who you have in your collection. My gang are easy to photograph compared to the shy, reclusive, baboons and fossorials.
The only ones who hide on me are the spiderlings who are burrowed. Everyone else just chills out while I take photos. There might be a bit of wrangling involved, but nothing more than a slight touch of a paintbrush to get Aspen the Avic away from the enclosure opening. I have to do it to feed and water them anyway... I don't usually harass them specifically for photos.
I just try to be in and out of there fast.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It is a waiting game with most of my Ts. :oldman:

The food does help and you can get those shots with the fangs full of grub :)

Maybe even get a video of a happy dance heheh

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

THE Master at taking T pics is our board member @papilio ask him! He won an award at The Reptile Report for his T photography as well.

He does mantids now, he grew a bit bored w/Ts hah https://www.flickr.com/photos/_papilio

Followed by @advan

And this guy who was inspired by Papilio https://www.flickr.com/photos/mygale/

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Tickle your tarantula!

Not kidding. Get a long blade of grass, let it dry out, and lure them out by 'tickling' the ground to simulate prey. It's the only way I can get a picture of my baboons. I was reminded of this by @viper69 in another recent thread.

Feeding also helps, usually. A mouth full of food ruins the picture though, in my opinion.

cold blood

Staff member
See, I have zero issue opening an enclosure without spooking most of my ts (save the OV and H. macs).....maybe its because my room is perpetually dark, I dunno....My problem is that I'm terrible with a camera (and don't have a great camera), at least with regards to up close shots, I can take dog or fish pictures effortlessly. I've never been terribly interested in Photography, but I must agree, I see some of the shots from people here and they're just spectacular, viper mentioned some guys that take amazing pics, but there's so many more, CEC, vanessaS, AustinS, louise, and even trenor takes some good pics among many more....seeing that kinda peaks the interest for sure.

Last edited:

louise f

Arachnoangel
See, I have zero issue opening an enclosure without spooking most of my ts (save the OV and H. macs).....maybe its because my room is perpetually dark, I dunno....My problem is that I'm terrible with a camera (and don't have a great camera), at least with regards to up close shots, I can take dog or fish pictures effortlessly. I've never been terribly interested in Photography, but I must agree, I see some of the shots from people here and they're just spectacular, viper mentioned some guys that take amazing pics, but there's so many more, CEC, vanessaS, AustinS, louise, and even trenor takes some good pics among many more....seeing that kinda peaks the interest for sure.

Ohh come on sweetie, you know everyone here loves your potato pics. Well i do <3:kiss::p:D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
You take great photos, it would be nice to see more of them.
Thanks, I was just giving CB a hard time. :D

I'm looking at picking up some extension tubes for my camera and I'm going to break out the micro rail and see what i can do with those sheds I have. I'd love to get some closer shots of hair and claws etc.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, I was just giving CB a hard time. :D

I'm looking at picking up some extension tubes for my camera and I'm going to break out the micro rail and see what i can do with those sheds I have. I'd love to get some closer shots of hair and claws etc.
What kind of lighting do you use? I'm looking at getting some lights for when I use my extension tubes because I have to significantly lower the speed, raise the iso, or open that aperature up (I only have one lens that goes to 1.4) just to get a decent picture without blur (even in raw).

Trenor

Arachnoprince
What kind of lighting do you use? I'm looking at getting some lights for when I use my extension tubes because I have to significantly lower the speed, raise the iso, or open that aperature up (I only have one lens that goes to 1.4) just to get a decent picture without blur (even in raw).
I am currently using two soft boxes on either side of the table to reduce shadows. The constant light helps over flash so the Ts are not startled as easily. I've been too lazy to breakout the tripod and rail though it would help reduce the motion blur on my photos a lot.

Some I take on the fly with either my phone or the Canon depending on what it is and which one is closer easier to use at the moment.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Shooting T's is definitely an interesting photography process lol I've found that nothing is more useful than a sturdy tripod