Photo Editing Software

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I'm currently looking for free photo editors to download, not online editors. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't need all the bells and whistles, on my pc I use Microsoft Office Photo Editor, but I don't have Office on my netbook so I'm looking for something similar. All I need to do is crop, adjust contrast and brightness. I like that the office editor allows you to adjust separate tone ranges individually. I downloaded Paint.Net but I'm not entirely happy with the tone adjustment.
Any recommendations?
The other threads on the subject are outdated btw, I should mention that I'm using Windows 7 too.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That was quick! GIMP did come up in a search, but I chose Paint.Net as my netbook is getting old and under powered compared to what's around today and I wondered how GIMP would perform on it. Do you use GIMP?
I don't, but I used to. And I used it on a very weak netbook, so you should be fine. It's a powerful program after you learn what you're doing.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I don't, but I used to. And I used it on a very weak netbook, so you should be fine. It's a powerful program after you learn what you're doing.
Thanks, I think I'll give it a go. Not that the small screen is my preference when editing photos, but a couple of times a week I get access to unlimited free WiFi but if I haven't edited the pictures on my home pc I'm not ready to post them, I need something better than windows paint on my netbook. At home all I have is my phone credit to access the Internet and that runs out quickly if I start uploading pictures and videos.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
t home all I have is my phone...
What phone do you have? Many modern smartphones come pre-installed with powerful photo editing tools. LG is among the best, but Samsung and Apple aren't far behind.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
What phone do you have? Many modern smartphones come pre-installed with powerful photo editing tools. LG is among the best, but Samsung and Apple aren't far behind.
It's a Samsung Galaxy mini, I hadn't even thought to look to be honest, it doesn't take very good photos so it didn't cross my mind. I've only just started to work out using the Internet properly on it , I would usually wait until I have credit for the pc, but guess what I've been buying each payday instead of Internet credit?!!!
Thanks for both suggestions, I might check my phone out now!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
GIMP has a beast of a learning curve and isn't as intuitive or friendly as Photoshop, but it is capable and can do just about everything Photoshop does. As @EulersK mentioned, it's system resource requirements are a fraction of Photoshop. And of course, it's free.
Get on Youtube. Loads of GIMP tutorials. You can also use the Youtube Photoshop tutorials and then use GIMPs help files to learn those techniques..