Phormingochilus arboricola : behavior

vounti

Arachnoknight
At that size, you can probably sex them just by color:
i had no idea it was possible :eek:
I can't check since it's VEERY well hidden but it was sold as confirmed female. I'll contact the seller if I ever sex it as male. Thank you very much

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Chilobrachys sp. Kaeng Krachan
These are super cool also. I've got a big female, she has been holed up for the last few weeks and just molted, but it's usually out and doing all kinds of renovations on the living space. Very fast spider, very attractive, great eater.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
At that size, you can probably sex them just by color:
Wait, were you able to tell the difference with yours when you were raising the slings up? The reason I ask is there has been consistent confusion between Lampropelma nigerrimum and Phormingochilus arboricola over the years and at one point P. arboricola was even classified as a subspecies of L. nigerrimum. Now, Lampropelma nigerrimum is well known to be easily sexed by coloration at an early age, but I don't remember reading anywhere that P. arboricola also exhibited this same early sexual dimorphism (the link provided also muddies the waters as there are pictures that potentially show both species). Not doubting, just curious :) .

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yep, color sexing worked great for me.
Check out page 4 of my photos thread:

vounti

Arachnoknight
These are super cool also. I've got a big female, she has been holed up for the last few weeks and just molted, but it's usually out and doing all kinds of renovations on the living space. Very fast spider, very attractive, great eater.
Just fed these and they are ferocious !
Chilobrachys is definetly my favorite genus