Phormictopus atrichomatus or cancerides

TechComMike

Arachnopeon
Hoping for some opinions from those who have both. Are they much the same temperament-wise and amounts of webbing, if at all? Furthermore, regarding the reddish hue of the atrichomatus and bronzish for cancerides; are those just present immediately post molt and say for the next few weeks so that two months after molt they basically look identical again or do the color differences really persist? (talking mature adult females here coz I know they change a bit as slings/juvies). What substrate do you prefer and how deep do you make it and dryish or dampish? For those with full grown females, what size enclosure are you using and whether you think its about right? Thanks.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Hoping for some opinions from those who have both. Are they much the same temperament-wise and amounts of webbing, if at all? Furthermore, regarding the reddish hue of the atrichomatus and bronzish for cancerides; are those just present immediately post molt and say for the next few weeks so that two months after molt they basically look identical again or do the color differences really persist? (talking mature adult females here coz I know they change a bit as slings/juvies). What substrate do you prefer and how deep do you make it and dryish or dampish? For those with full grown females, what size enclosure are you using and whether you think its about right? Thanks.
I can tell you that I like the looks of both, but as of yet I do not currently have either. There doesn't seem to be a lot of Phormictopus enthusiasts here at Arachnoboards.

I do have 8 slings of Phormictopus sp southern hispaniola, great species. I do plan on getting both species that you are interested in .

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have a subadult male atrichomatus (was sold as cancerides).

Freshly moulted
View media item 60359
10 months post-moult
DSC_0001.jpg

He's in a large kritter keeper and he's kept mostly dry, I just overflow the water dish every now and again. Very defensive, not much in the way of webbing.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I have 2 cancerides, subadult male and female and a sub adult female auratus. At this point they all look very similar. The 2 cancerides don't burrow or even use their hides so they don't have very deep substrate. The auratus is a pet hole so she has much more . Contrary to their reputation neither cancerides is defensive at all, in fact the male is one of my most chill spiders. The auratus is extremely shy and disappears at the slightest disturbance. Very little webbing from any of them. I just wet down a portion of the substrate occasionally for all of them.

TechComMike

Arachnopeon
Wow, if only he'd keep that immediate post-molt look the whole time (spectacular), although the carapace looks good even when the pink fades. Starting to suspect that all the typical Google images of atrichromatus I see are probably males with a bit more color pop so anyone got a freshly molted mature female atrich to show? I don't want to have unrealistic expectations even before getting one.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can tell you that I like the looks of both, but as of yet I do not currently have either. There doesn't seem to be a lot of Phormictopus enthusiasts here at Arachnoboards.

I do have 8 slings of Phormictopus sp southern hispaniola, great species. I do plan on getting both species that you are interested in .
I certainly am! They are my favourite NW genus

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had both. If you really wanna pinpoint the speicies you have to examine the spermatheca or the males bulbous pedipalps, cos the ones that i have bought as P cancerides and P atrichomatus have looked very alike. I kniw that P atrichomatus should have a mire bronze highlight on the carapace abd P cancerides mire if a purple sheen, so i have read, but i have had both and they loojed very much alike + i think there have been hybridization in the hobby unfortunatly

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have a young adult female of each that I've raised. They've been fairly similar for me, aside from looks (atrichomatus is more brown.) The cancerides is slightly bolder in temperament, but neither of my specimens are especially prone to throw up a threat pose. Not much webbing from either...just the typical ground cover sort.

Here in Europe ( no i dont accept brexit!! Im stiil European even if in the Disunited Kingdom) the bronze carapace Phormictopus is P.Auratus, Cancerides remains same,and i believe is the largest variant, Atichromatus is more reddish and the fabulous purple ones are Phormictopus Sp (Dominican Purple)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have a young adult female of each that I've raised. They've been fairly similar for me, aside from looks (atrichomatus is more brown.) The cancerides is slightly bolder in temperament, but neither of my specimens are especially prone to throw up a threat pose. Not much webbing from either...just the typical ground cover sort.
Update: the female atrichomatus now has a purple-striped carapace after molting. She never showed this color until now. I don't have a photo yet, but she's on my list to do soon.

Purple carapace sounds more like the Dominican Purple adult or large sub adult , i haven't got any pics unfortunately as ive only got a 2-3 cm s/ling arriving next week,but if this site allows i will guide you to the cuurent stock list of our local supplier in Wales. www.thespidershop.com (see "spiderlings" where there is a photo of an adult.

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I love the phormictipus species from what I've seen. I have a P auratus and had a Dominican Purple that never ate for me and sadly passed. Maybe it was a sucking stomach issue from previous molt, don't know.. anywho, they seem to keep their colors better than Pamphobeteus from Tom Moran's videos.

Eventually I'll have another Dominican and want to get a green femur. My P auratus is doing very well and it took some of its dirt and built an upper level above the fake plant in the enclosure. It crawls all over though, very active and only a bit shy.