Phormictopus antillensis ? im confused.

fix

Arachnopeon
Good.and then what kind of spider looks like.maybe you didn't write the name correctly. 2022-01-25_230301.png 2022-01-25_230349.png

what then are these types and names.maybe I didn't write it right.and what color I have in the photo and here in the photo is completely different. is that right???

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There was a paper in BTS-Journal * were the authors stats the following to "Phormictopus antillensis";
"There is no valid Phormictopus species with this name, but we were fortunate to buy tarantulas erroneously sold as “Phormictopus antillensis” a few years ago that we have since found to be P.
atrichomatus."

And the editor notes additionaly;
"Perhaps these are confused with Acanthoscurria antillensis. The latter name is also used in the pet trade to refer to a different spider (or two!) [S. Longhorn, pers. comm.)."

Unfortunately the authors gave no justification or explanation why it should be P. cancerides.
So the editors note is more important to me (and surprise, surprise... it´s still the same what Stuart wrote in 2012 #5).
Thats why it´s would be necessary to check the single specimens.

How can you do this.

1. Is the juvenil colour blueish / grey > 2
    Is the juvenil colour brownish > 5
  2. The spermathecae receptacula triangular, apikal without constrictions or globular tip > 3
    The spermathecae receptacula apikal with constrictions or globular tip> 5
  3. Most likely a Phormictopus from Hispaniola > 4
  4. comparing the spermathecae with P. atrichomatus / P. cancerides RUDLOFF 2008 (and then welcome in the colour mess)
  5. Most likely a Phormictopus from Cuba or Acanthoscurria maga (syn. antillensis) from Martinique > 6
  6. Stridulatory bristles only at Trochanter on palp and leg I > Acanthoscurria maga (syn. antillensis)
    Stridulatory Bristles at Coxa and Trochanter on palp and leg I > Phormictopus spp. ex Cuba
*MARIA GOMBASNE GUDENUS, LASZLO GOMBAS AND LASZLO “DUDU” GUDENUS (2016) THE GENUS PHORMICTOPUS AND ITS HOBBY NOMENCLATURE. Journal of the British Tarantula Society 31(2), July 2016

Last edited: