Phormic28's Hot Pepper Grow Log (2018-2019)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Wanted to keep track of the plants that I'll be growing and figured some people may be interested. I'll be growing mainly hot peppers, however, I might be growing some tomatoes as well.

10/16/18 - Started 4 different varieties of peppers via the plastic baggie method: Bohemian Beast Peach, Nagabon x Yellow Primo, Butch x Jonah Yellow and Cumari do Para. All seeds are kept at 80-85 F while germinating and they should germinate in about a week or two.
B14B38FA-9BB6-470D-95A8-07A0E3E0D689.jpeg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I need to start grabbing seeds and getting mine going. I have the benefit of being able to just stick them outside in February :p I'm planning on cutting back all my plants once it gets cold enough to try to get them to come back again next year. We'll see how that goes. I'm hoping with some of my quick ones that I can get peppers before it gets stupidly hot here and all growth/production stops. It was so frustrating to watch the plants struggle to produce flowers only to have them fall off, occasionally producing a pepper that would fall off. I managed to get one gypsy pepper over the summer, but now all my plants look like they're going to break because they have so many peppers starting to grow on them.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I need to start grabbing seeds and getting mine going. I have the benefit of being able to just stick them outside in February :p I'm planning on cutting back all my plants once it gets cold enough to try to get them to come back again next year. We'll see how that goes. I'm hoping with some of my quick ones that I can get peppers before it gets stupidly hot here and all growth/production stops. It was so frustrating to watch the plants struggle to produce flowers only to have them fall off, occasionally producing a pepper that would fall off. I managed to get one gypsy pepper over the summer, but now all my plants look like they're going to break because they have so many peppers starting to grow on them.
I hate you lol. Start a Glog too, I'd love to see how others grow their peppers and it'd be cool to see how germinating and growing indoors compares to starting them indoors. Also if you need any seed vendor recs, PM me, I have a bunch of good vendors saved in a document haha.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I hate you lol. Start a Glog too, I'd love to see how others grow their peppers and it'd be cool to see how germinating and growing indoors compares to starting them indoors. Also if you need any seed vendor recs, PM me, I have a bunch of good vendors saved in a document haha.
One of the very few perks of getting away from Chambana lol. Talking to my botanist coworker he says that most people grow their plants here during the fall/winter because it's too hot during the summer. Definitely something for me to keep in mind for the future.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
One of the very few perks of getting away from Chambana lol. Talking to my botanist coworker he says that most people grow their plants here during the fall/winter because it's too hot during the summer. Definitely something for me to keep in mind for the future.
How hot does it get if I may ask? A lot of the super hots grow in climates that are pretty arid and hot (deserts of India, Trinidad, etc.) and they usually fair well so I don’t see why they wouldn’t grow in the summer. Super Hot seeds optimal germination temps are 80-90 degrees so I feel like you’re at the best place haha.Worse comes to worse you can always plant them in a planter and move them around a bit. Best thing is that you can actually ‘stress’ the plant and that would make the pods spicier from what I was told.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How hot does it get if I may ask? A lot of the super hots grow in climates that are pretty arid and hot (deserts of India, Trinidad, etc.) and they usually fair well so I don’t see why they wouldn’t grow in the summer. Super Hot seeds optimal germination temps are 80-90 degrees so I feel like you’re at the best place haha.Worse comes to worse you can always plant them in a planter and move them around a bit. Best thing is that you can actually ‘stress’ the plant and that would make the pods spicier from what I was told.
From like May-early September it's 105+ every day, 110+ in June-August. I don't have any super hots though, so I wonder if they'd take it better than any of my other peppers. I was thinking about elevating my current plants so they'd be up off the concrete. Not sure if it would necessarily help, but probably worth a shot. They'd get sun until about 11 and then be shaded for the rest of the day.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Decided to do bit of an experiment with germinating the seeds:

1) Used the ziplock bag method and put a couple bags in the sling incubator. Stays around 80-85 degrees.

2) Used the condiment container method. Put three containing 5 seeds each on top of my cable box. Stays in the low 90s.
F7272B3B-DAF4-4CB7-AF33-465DA0A818E7.jpeg
3) used the condiment container method again. Put four containing five seeds each on top of my modem. Stays from 92-105.
357B8145-FFB5-4787-9DCA-E43D5E725523.jpeg

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Some have already germinated surprisingly, I’ll be setting up the double cups and lights tomorrow. Pretty excited to see how this will all turn out!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Meanwhile, the only thing I am able to grow reliably is mold in the bathtub.

But I am enjoying seeing things develop here. Thnx for the updates.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Meanwhile, the only thing I am able to grow reliably is mold in the bathtub.

But I am enjoying seeing things develop here. Thnx for the updates.
I’m sure you’ll be able to grow them as well if you tried! Who knows, I may fail horribly. I’ll post photos along with details on what I did and what exactly I used if anybody wants to critique or do what I did if it ends up working.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I’m sure you’ll be able to grow them as well if you tried!
I believe I have a degree, magna cum laude, in botanical biocide. My father was a gardener. I've attempted to grow things from radishes to Sequoia sempervirens and everything in between. My 'managed to live' track record is a tree outside my window here that pulled through in spite of all my efforts to nurture it and I planted it in the perfectly wrong place.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Some have already germinated surprisingly, I’ll be setting up the double cups and lights tomorrow. Pretty excited to see how this will all turn out!
Which ones germinated first? Sling incubator or modem?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Well I started the ones in the sling incubator two days prior, but today when I checked the other ones a few are germinating as well. So I’d say both were good options. Only thing with the condiment containers on top of the modem is that you have to check on them twice a day and moisten them as the water collects on the lids and the sides of the cup.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well I started the ones in the sling incubator two days prior, but today when I checked the other ones a few are germinating as well. So I’d say both were good options. Only thing with the condiment containers on top of the modem is that you have to check on them twice a day and moisten them as the water collects on the lids and the sides of the cup.
Good to know! I was thinking of setting mine up near my bearded dragon's lights since those stay consistently warm, but I haven't poked around or temp checked anything yet. I could definitely set them up on the modem since that stays plenty warm. I'm almost tempted to put them under the light in my Smeringurus enclosure, but I know the little monster would take offense at that and probably try to set up shop around/under the cups...

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
So here's the write up:

Here are my materials:

Germination:
-Plastic ziplock bags w/ moist (but not wet) paper towels folded in half with the seeds in them.
-Condiment containers with round circles of paper towel cut and placed inside with the seeds on top of them

Containers for potting:
-As of now, just solo cups with two DIFFERENT bottoms (eg. circle and square)

Lights:
-2x 48" 32W Daylight T8 Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb (6500k) [https://www.menards.com/…/sylvania-reg-48-40w-daylight-t12-…]
-Ballast [https://www.menards.com/…/p-1444423574948-c-1472133557086.h…]

Medium & Nutrients:
-Pro-Mix® All-Purpose Professional Grower's Mix
-Perlite
-Was either debating on Burpee® Natural & Organic™ Water Soluble Tomato & Vegetable Plant Food (6-2-3) or Schultz® Tomato Water Soluble Fast Acting Plant Food (17-18-28)

What I did so far (photos at the end)-
Some of the seeds germinated, primarily Bohemian Beast Peach F3 & Butch x Jonah Yellow. I took the solo cups with the 'circular' bottom and cut them on four sides to allow for roots to grow through. The second cup will be used for putting water and nutrients in when the roots start sprouting from the bottom. I filled the solo cup with Pro-Mix and a heaping spoonful of perlite to allow for better drainage. I then made three small indentations (on in the center and two on the sides) and put one germinated seed in each indentation. Covered them up and moistened the soil (if soil is moist already, do not overdo the watering). This is to ensure at least one sprouts, if all three do the other two will be placed in other cups. Placed plastic wrap on them and put them in a warm area.

Non-circular bottom cup:
67BF51EF-49AE-453F-A10C-7FC8FAB1C573.jpeg
Circular cup with 4 slits cut:
88652A49-E517-43B3-89FA-6E5CB232EA90.jpeg
After potting them and putting them in a warm but not hot area:
03C11A20-36C6-4755-800C-FDBE083A3734.jpeg

Also forgot to mention, I haven't tried starting the same seeds via both methods, so whatever I reported isn't quite accurate. Each variety is different, especially with mild vs. hot vs. super hot as well as the way they were collected. I have some Cumari do para that were put in the ziplock bag method on the 16th and they're just barely starting to germinate.

Starting the ziplock bag method in the incubator for these varieties:
-Peach Naga
-Peach Naga Cross (White)

-Goronong
-7 Pot Bubblegum (BBG7) Yellow Large - No calyx

According to some users on a Hot Pepper group on FB, they said to put it straight under a light instead of keeping them on a windowsill once they sprout it because the light can ‘burn’ them. Anyways here my basic set up is for now:
E86FDDDD-06B7-4E23-91D7-E34FC7086596.jpeg

I’ll make a home made reflector this weekend to reduce the amount of light wasted.

Last edited by a moderator:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Got a bit bored yesterday so made a reflective panel out of a cardboard box and aluminum foil. This will help direct light towards the plant and reduce the amount of light wasted:
4BD2F0C3-3DB1-4333-AD81-41EA3F4A87DF.jpeg

And one updated on the BBP plant:
CA720F3E-501B-46E1-A00D-8640ED6F480C.jpeg