Phoneutria sp.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Picure of adult female phoneutria sp. She is getting real fat ready to drop a sac cool thing is I talked to an entomologist expert on phoneutrias he said they can drop fertile sacs even if not bred but more than likely will all be males but ya never know:)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm a little skeptical of your entomologist's expertise on Phoneutria. While there are a few parthenogenic spiders, I've never heard of Phoneutria being included in that list. Also, in cases of parthenogenesis where the female reproduces without mating, all of the offspring are female. Mating (and the attendant contribution of male genetic material) are required in order to produce male offspring.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks for the response I may have got it backwards yes correct would be females I have no idea if this will hold true that's just what I was told to the best of his knowledge that's what he told me I will just have to wait and see what happens.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Well, sorry to rain on your parade but don't get your hopes up. I completely agree with @chanda regarding male offspring coming from parthenogenetic reproduction. That's not how it works in arachnids. There is no report of parthenogenetic reproduction in Phoneutria (and thank god for that!).

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks for the responses I guess that's a bummer:( But maybe for the best otherwise we would have to many spiders around.