Phoneutria sp. "Peru, Iquitos"

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi!

I bought this spider afew weeks ago as P. sp. "Peru, Iquitos".

Sorry about the pic quality, it is taken through the plastic.

Last edited:

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey, nice shot ;)
It´s 100% P. boliviensis, I got a male for research purposes...the apophysis and the bulbi are difficult to mix up with those of other species.

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:eek: so what? shall I look at every specimen that was imported? As far as I know there were only 4-5 specimen imported from Iquitos (all were catched in the same location). I wonder if those males would mate with females of other species :-/
Let´s say there would be an import of about 100 Cyriocosmus sp. (and they all look the same) would you look at every spider, or would you pick random specimen and look at those?
Remember, we´re talking about an ID, not about a description of a new species or something like that...:embarrassed:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:eek: so what? shall I look at every specimen that was imported? As far as I know there were only 4-5 specimen imported from Iquitos (all were catched in the same location). I wonder if those males would mate with females of other species :-/
Let´s say there would be an import of about 100 Cyriocosmus sp. (and they all look the same) would you look at every spider, or would you pick random specimen and look at those?
Remember, we´re talking about an ID, not about a description of a new species or something like that...:embarrassed:
I just found it a bit odd to compare your male you got there to his picture of a female, thats all. Description of a new species? Sorry I dont think I follow you here. I havent thought its a new species.
Why not look on the ventral which he posted on another forum, there is no black blotch typical for nigriventer (the locality given are not where you find nigriventer) and the boliviensis are the most commonly found species of Phoneutria in some areas unlike fera and reidyi.
And yes I would look at every single one if I got a import of 100 spiders. I seen stacks of plastic boxes with ts imported and the dealer sad he took a few randomly and labeled them. But it was a number of different species in the stacks as far as I could see.

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi Lelle,
I can´t look at all of them, they´re sold already :(
You know, that coloration isn´t valid for an ID?
Have you ever seen P. reidyi? You know that backpattern of Phoneutria sp., which is oftentimes described as typical for Phoneutria sp.?
The P. reidyi I got (Diana Silva confirmed my ID!) lacks that pattern...so you can´t tell the species from a ventral view.

But it was a number of different species in the stacks as far as I could see.
How could you see that? If you read carefully what I wrote you would have seen that:
and they all look the same
Don´t get me wrong, if it´s obvious, that there are different species I would also take look at (nearly) all...
The only way to ID a Phoneutria sp. to the species is to look at the epigynium (at females) or the tibiaapophysis and bulbi (at males).
and guessing the species by this:
boliviensis are the most commonly found species of Phoneutria in some areas unlike fera and reidyi
is a very unsecure way. That´s the way most dealers use, they take a look at the WSC PLATNICK and chose the species that fits the best :rolleyes:
How do you know, that maybe P. bahiensis doesn´t live in the same habitat? Only because it´s not described for that region (yet)?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe not but nigriventer is as far as I know the only species that have that blotch (hence the name nigriventer)

I havent heard that backpattern are typical for Phoneutria.

I have no idea where bahiensis are found except in Bahia, but that is not really the issue. Nigriventer is not a amazon living species, and Iquitos, Peru is very much Amazon region.
And very far away from its distribution area.

No dealers dont even care to check for distributrion areas. Many are pleased with the ID they got from their dealer.
So in your opinion, a distribution area which are thousands of km apart is not important?
Locale is the first thing to check. Or how common the species are in the area?

But it was a number of different species in the stacks as far as I could see.
Im talking about the stacks I saw at a dealer

Last edited:

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I rehoused her today (or accually yesterday) and I got some better pics:

RodG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice Photos!!!

Some very nice photos of a very cool spider:clap:
Please keep them coming!

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
see everyone gets one except me!!!! nice shots enjoy her

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi Niklas, would you do me favour and try to take a makroshot of the epigynium when she´s sitting on the plastic again (so Crotalus would see it´s a boliviensis)?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hi Niklas, would you do me favour and try to take a makroshot of the epigynium when she´s sitting on the plastic again (so Crotalus would see it´s a boliviensis)?

When did I say its not a boliviensis? I do believe I suggested that species to him on another forum.