Phoneutria reidyi sex ID

doom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,
I have a sling with body lenght of one cm. Is it possible to see what sex is it? If not i will look the moult skin next time. What is a percentage of survival of small slings of this species?

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,
What is a percentage of survival of small slings of this species?
Hi,

if you keep ém right, youth mortality (and i refer to fresh hatched here) should not exceed 20 to 30%.

With this this species highest mortality rate is to be expected during maturation moult.

Greetings,

Stefan

P.S. Klemen, is this you?

doom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Stefan,
yes i am. Is it possible to see the sex of this specimen or it's too small? You're the expert. I'm looking forward to see the next moult. Then i will check the sex organs under the microscope if present at this st/age.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Stefan,
yes i am. Is it possible to see the sex of this specimen or it's too small? You're the expert. I'm looking forward to see the next moult. Then i will check the sex organs under the microscope if present at this st/age.
Hi Klemen,

thanks for the flowers, but, hell, i´m for sure no "expert".

Most guys i see on TV who are "experts" don´t know too well what they are talking about... ;)

I´m just working practically...

With Phoneutria i´m not aware of any method that´s reliable to sex that young specimen with the "naked eye" and that´s all i use.

To me it´s regardless as i raise usually bigger stems anyway so i have usually specimen of both sexes available anyway. Wouldn´t make any difference to me to know the sex in advance as i couldn´t mate them at that early stage. So i usually just wait till i can see bulbs...

As i said, i´m just deep down to practical purposes here.

Nevertheless, with that microscopic stuff i guess it won´t be necessarily experience with Phoneutria ssp. needed to do a gender ID, so perhaps you´ll be lucky with someone else.

Greetings,

Stefan

doom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spider is growing well. It moulted yesterday and i made some shots of moult skin. It looks like this.

Below the spider looks like this now.