Phoneutria pictures

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
AWESOME Phoneutria spp. pictures; it really shows this species in a much different light than I previously held them in.

AWESOME review of the venom of the species mentioned. It really makes you think about things; how possibly media, society, and general knowledge can change one's aspects on something many fear in such a tremendous way that we never truly take into account that our ideologies may be inaccurate and not take into account what the factual evidence show us.

I have changed my mind in many regards after reading that information and a few studies of my own. It really puts other bites into consideration as well; such as Poecilotheria spp., Pterinochilus spp., and other tarantulas that people say are more venomous. It is not so much of a danger factor for the most part, but instead an instilled fear and very uncomfortable situation that makes one translate into some 'danger' factor when dealing with them.

It is unfortunate that anyone can be misled into firmly believing something; without looking at the information for one's self and coming up with a firm conclusion based upon what medical evidence shows us-- it only further illustrates the hostilities that fear and misinformation can instill about something such as this.

My thoughts on the matter are changed in many ways; but still I am not going to go out and buy any of said species anytime soon. For some who have the time, knowledge, and respect necessary to keep this species; they should feel obligated to post such amazing photos for all of us to drool over.

Cheers,
Nate

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This should really be pictures only. It's only a matter of time untill the debate picks up again. It should not be a thread for posting your thoughts and feelings. The previous thread went on far too long and seemed nasty to the point of damaging the community.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Holding a phoneutria is like playing Russian roulette with your sex life. No thanks.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Holding a phoneutria is like playing Russian roulette with your sex life. No thanks.
I wonder if it would have the same deleterious effects on female sexual response that it does on men?

schnautzr

Arachnosquire
I used to wonder how on earth a spider could look "nasty" to someone...that second photo answers my wonderment....

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All I can say is, WOW. Ridiculously awesome molt sequence photos. How does the spider manage to not fall to the ground?

I notice a small strand of webbing in the last pic, is that what is suspending them in the air? Must be some pretty strong webbing!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
doom, i always get excited when i notice it's you that is posting. your pictures are always absolutely fantastic.

i love how clearly the suspending/anchor thread is shown. very cool indeed.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh wow. Wow, that's... wow.

Great shots! Thanks for sharing!

_timisdrunk_

Arachnopeon
These are stunning spiders, and you're lucky enough to live in a country that doesn't restrict you from having them (unlike myself) but i fear that holding them, is asking for trouble. Such as if you got bitten and the worst thing happened like you died, imagine the outcry from people asking for limits on these deadly spiders, or some way of monitering who has them! Be careful as a bite from one of these will not just mess your sex life up, but it might put a restriction on others in your country owning dangerous arachnids