Phoneutria Paper

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, thx.

I take a look at them tomorow. i need to take a sleep.

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

@Toolrick

the pics you send me looks like nigriventer and eventualy Boliviensis to me.

Here are better Pics of my reidyi. Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

Last edited:

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the information, eventhough there are no information on Nigrevinter here in Colombia. Only P. Colombiana but they have not been well studied by sientists around.
Last night I found another male that was getting to my house, so I release the old male I had and I am keeping the new one. I do not like to see them die from old age, so I send the old one to the wild.
Does a female have to be adult in terms to mate a male and a female?
How do I know my female is ready to mate?

Ricardo

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

@Bastian

If you mean me,

now, my ID is based on the pics that are available at the www, the revisions of the genus and other infos that are open source.

That`s all. No taxonomic analysis of the spider.

Why you want to know that? Do you have doubts that it is a reidyi? I know that a 100% identification without a "closer look" is not really water resistant but I`ve done my homework and for me there are no doubts what it is.

There are two species "known" to get that big, and there are two species "known" to have the tiger striped coloration. Fera and reidyi. And fera is in my opinion absolutely out of the question for more reasons, not last because of its behavior and coloration.

Hope this is what you want to hear;)

Bjoern Elksnat

Arachnosquire
@Bastian and @delherbe

Hey Jungs, dass könnten wir doch besser in "unserem" Forum (Sorry Bastian, Deins ;-) weiter ausdiskutieren, könnte spannend werden!^^

Ich denke auch, lieber delherbe, ohne "Draufsicht" auf Dein Tier, und zwar mit einem GUTEN Bild, kann es fera sein, kann es reidyi sein...

Ich hoffe ja reidyi, aus einem ganz bestimmten Grund :)

LG Björni

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

@björn

Ich hätte die Disskusion auch gern im andern Forum geführt. Hat allerdings niemand auf die Bilder geantwortet. Is halt noch recht wenig los dort.

Aber hier die Draufsicht.

Ich kann dazu eigentlich nur sagen das das Tier die Mentalität einer Hummel hat und kaum aus der Ruhe zu bringen ist. Allerdings würde ich aufpassen das sie nicht erschrickt;) Die kann auch anders. Wenn ich ehrlich bin, ist das eine der Sympathischsten Spinnen die ich bis jetzt hier hatte. Mit meinem Cupiennius Bock der grad bei seiner Dame sitzt könnt ich so Fotos nicht machen. Der ist ein bisschen tricky.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bjoern Elksnat

Arachnosquire
Hi!

It`s definetly NOT P. reidyi I think!

Sorry delherbe, aber das ist dann wohl doch fera, reidyis sehen gaaanz anders aus...

Hatte schon genug hier, schon allein die gelben Härchen sind total reidyi-untypisch...

In "unserem" Forum dauerts nur leider immer ein bisserl länger...

LG Björni

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

die Farbe kann durch die Fotos etwas variieren, ich würd allerdings nicht anhand der Flaumbehaarung einen festen Entschluss ziehen. Ich hab genug Bilder abgeglichen und bin nach jedem weiteren Bild von fera Richtung reidyi gekommen dann wieder Fera und dann zurück zu reidyi. Ich würd eine gewisse Farbtoleranz hinnehmen.

Zudem kann ein Wildfang sowieso mimmer etwas abweichen, zumindest bei Phoneutria ist dir die Variation ja bekanntt. Bestes Beispiel P.nigriventer mit roter Zeichnung ohne Zeichnung und weiß der geier was noch für Zeichnungsvarianten existieren. Das Abdomen eine Fera sollte auf der unter Seite braun sein wenn ich richtig lieg.

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@Björn

Ich kann gut verstehn das du denkst das es keine Reidyi ist. So sicher wie du dir momentan bist das es keine reidyi ist war ich bis vor kurzem auch. Allerdings je mehr ich weiter gesucht hab umso mehr kam ich zu dem Ergebniss das es keine fera ist.

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to interrupt you guys, but I cannot understand anything that you are writting and it would be great to read the discution. Is it maybe possible for you that let us know what the whole discution is in English???
Thanks a lot, I would apreciate it a lot and I think many in here who enjoy the subject and keep Phoneutrias would do as well.

Ricardo

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does a female have to be adult in terms to mate a male and a female?
I believe so, yes. The epigynum of the female doesn't reach maturity until the last molt.

How do I know my female is ready to mate?
Ricardo
Check the epigynum. It should be lightly to heavily scleritized, with definite structure. I've never examined Phoneutria per se, but in many other entelegyne spiders the penultimate (next to last instar) female epigynum may be visible, but is still covered with a smooth layer of skin.

Sometimes this isn't easy to see, especially when looking at a spider that's hanging onto the side of a glass terrarium. :)
If you can find a wild female with an egg sac you'd be sure of having a mature individual. Then, you could compare its epigynum with that of your other specimen.

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,
for the english speaking users:
It`s definetly NOT P. reidyi I think!
Sorry delherbe, aber das ist dann wohl doch fera, reidyis sehen gaaanz anders aus...
Hatte schon genug hier, schon allein die gelben Härchen sind total reidyi-untypisch...
Means:
Sorry delherbe, but it´s more likely a fera, since reidyi look completely different...
Had some of them and those yellow hairs are not typical for reidyi...

My comment: I wonder how many specimen of P. reidyi you kept so far and how many of those you examined.
Have you ever determined a Phoneutria (or any other spider) on basis of other features except for color, (eye-)pattern, habitus?
In a nutshell: How can you say this is not P. reidyi without having examined the spider, especially in regard to similar pattern/color of Phoneutria males?!?

How can you say it is P. fera? Because of pictures on the internet? If so, who says those specimen have been properly determined? Or because of the single picture of the ventral opisthosoma of P. fera in Martins and Bertani (2007)?
Maybe those hairs are yellow due to white balance?

A high resolution macro picture of the pedipalp (on which the apophysis is visible!) could help...

P.S.: Remember: This is an english speaking forum!

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has anyone had success raising slings? I've heard most die very early for unknown causes is this true?

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, many in here have attempt to do so. Stefan, and some others are doing it since years.
Try the search function for Phoneutria and you will find a lot of information on the mater, how to care for them and raise.

Ricardo

Bjoern Elksnat

Arachnosquire
Hi burmish101!

No, I have an other experience with Phoneutria slings...

It is right that these are very "weak" when they are in the 1st or 2nd molt, but when you have passed this stages, its really no problem to get them big!

You must care for them in the first 2 molts, with enough fresh air, enough humidity too and good food, but after then its no really problem to see them growing very big...

Its a spider you must look at this every day to their wellness, but its not magic.

Easy to handle when the wish for it its true...

Best regards,

Björni

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

to hold that thread up to date her are some new infos and some new pictures.

The shown phoneutria is a reidyi. It seems that there are two colormorphs, this one and the pink one.

The spider molted a few days ago and is now a big and adult one.

Here some new pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As I commented before nice shots...
I was pretty wrong on the size of the legs my adult male has; they are 5cms long. Not as big as your male. Have you sized the legs since he molted?
Ibet they are 10cms or 11cms long.

Ricardo