Phoneutria Paper

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, does someone have this paper?

Revision and cladistic analysis of the Neotropical spider genus Phoneutria Perty, 1833

I need it to ID a spider.

Bouncehead@gmx.de

MfG,

Delherbe

Bjoern Elksnat

Arachnosquire
Hi Toolrick,

it would very nice from you when you can send me the paper, too.

I have the same problem, that I have bought a Phoneutria spp. as fera, but I don`t really think it is a real one.

Would be veeeeery nice from you!

Best regards,

Björn

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Give me your e-mail adress and I would be happy to send you the paper.
If you can send me pictures of the specimen you have it would be great.

Ricardo

Bjoern Elksnat

Arachnosquire
Hi Ricardo,

my e-mail-adress is bjoernelksnat@t-online.de, but, can`t you see it in my profile page? I don`t know...

When I have your e-mail-adress, I send you the pictures. Maybe you can help to find out what it is...

Best regards,

Björni

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

thanks for the paper. My specimen turned out to be a huge P.Reidyi male and the other seems to be a Boliviensis female.

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Heres a picture of the big guy.

@BjörnE wir laufen uns auch überall über den weg,)

Attachments

Last edited:

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bet is a male, but you have kept him well fed.
How many molts has it have so far?

Ricardo

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

@Ricardo

it`s a WC and it looks like he need still one molt to adulthood, so he becomes even bigger than yet.

Most of the time he`s a really relaxed guy but I had to change a little bit of the substrate because of mold a few days ago and he abruptly becomes a bit pissy, and it`s a realy impressive event if a Phoneutria male that big (4cm Body and 16cm legspan) and that beautiful (blazing yellow red black phase) beginns with his typical movement an spreads his cheliceraes.

So, how to handle a real fera which is naturally sullen and can get bigger in bodysize? I think it could be funny to catch one;)

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
and by the way:

Normally you have to keep an eye on the males when mating, but homegrown females of reidyis aren`t that big, so I have to warn breeders that they have to feed the male well before mating and then have a look at their females.

I hope my english isn`t so bad like the translator says;)

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Where did you find that WC specimen?
It looks great. Mine are not as big though. They can have something like 12cms of legspam, but that's about how much the adults I find WC around my house are. Body lenght of about 2-3 cms. Mine has not eatten for a few days and I believe is going to die pretty soon. It has been with me 2 months now and when I found him he was already adult so... I know that males do not live long time. I have not had females so far, only the one I am rasing, still waiting for her to grow up more, and hopefully I can find another WC male to mate them.

Ricardo

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

@Ricardo

I`ve found him at a german Store next to me. And they got him as P.fera from the last import. I`ve done my research well and theres no doubt that it is reidyi.

Where do you come from? If you`re able to export P.fera gimme a mail.

BTW: Dealing with Phoneutria is a bit like gambling. You never know what you get before you have it, but thats the risk I have to live with when I buy from a store;)

Last edited:

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@Ricardo again

Did you sent me the pictures of the P.fera male that is now conserved? If so, my reidyi boy looks exact the same but it`s a reidyi.

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey there!!!

I am from Colombia. We do not have P. Fera around here, most of them are P. Colombiana aka Boliviensis. It would be hard to get one, I would have to go to the Amazonas Jungle in order to get one because here no body would sell an spider to anybody.

I do not know if the P. Fera picture I sent you is from a spider preserved, all I know is taht it turned out to be Fera and not Boliviensis.

Ricardo

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

Ok. Boliviensis are not realy what I want, the tiny one I have here is really fast in searching the next hidingplace. So not much to see.

If you deside to make a trip into the jungle in ther near future and catch Phoneutrias especially big P.feras just let me know and I would pay the price you want for them and btw I would take more than just one or two.

Selling Phoneutrias to everyone is a no go I agree with. Most people who wan`t to buy one just can`t imagine whit what a potential a free Nigriventer/fera can come up with.

Last edited: