Phoneutria mating - need advice!

JakubV

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I´m trying to mate Phoneutria boliviensis, but without success. The female is drumming every night. After the male made a spermweb, I put him to the female at night, but he didn't react. After the male discovered the female's web, he started to clean himself. After the cleaning he started wandering around her enclosure until he bumped into her and she caught him. This happened two times and now i only have one male left. In the first case the female drummed like crazy. I had no problem mating Heteropoda venatoria and Cupiennius coccineus in the past.

What am I doing wrong?

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think you should intervene when you know that the male is about to get eaten. Also you can try feeding her until she refuse to eat then try introducing the male. Good luck on breeding them

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think the best thing to do is fatten her up first so she's less likely to munch him. If it happens again...I'm sorry all your males went to waste :/

JakubV

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

the last male is dead too. I left him in the female enclosure for two weeks, then she ate him.

No mating was seen and she didn´t produce an eggsac.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think you should intervene when you know that the male is about to get eaten. Also you can try feeding her until she refuse to eat then try introducing the male. Good luck on breeding them
you can use a very long thong instead of trowing a cup.
OP, I would completely ignore any posts by this individual, as he has no experience with Phoneutria to begin with.

Sorry your breeding was unsuccessful.