Phoneutria in Panama and Colombia

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok team.

Request for help gathering info. So, given that arachnoboards has a largely US based audience, i thought i'd give this a go. I'm looking for links /photos of Phoneutria in Panama and possibly Colombia.

Given that Panama has a large US expat population, i'm sure many of you have made trips or know people with panama links.

I'm looking for any data on Phoneutria in Panama please, which must be linked to exact geographical data and ideally photos of said animal.

I've found a few links online to people who have 'spotted' Phoneutria in Panama, and contacted several such (please do not contact those found in general image search, as i likely have already bothered them). But in particular if you have/know people with photos of panamanian/colombian Phoneutria (or think MAY be Phoneutria) please reply ??!?

Cheers!

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Interesting request.

I don't think i can be of any help in this regard, unfortunately. As you've mentioned you've already contacted all persons that have uploaded images of possible Phoneutria spec. found in Panama, which is also my only source of pictures.

Your request is interesting as nobody gives a hoot about P. boliviensis from Panama - why do you? Trying to map variations in what is actually described as P. boliviensis? This would be a giant undertaking, well worth the effort, though.

P. boliviensis from Colombia got imported several years ago, as i'm aware, i don't know any details though.
What i learned about those is, that there had been confusion about the ID, hobby-taxonomists id'ed them as "unclear, possibly" P. pertyi (!).
Discussions went here and there and finally Rogerio Bertani was contacted and gave his impression based on the presented pictures: P. boliviensis.

The board where this discussion took place isn't existing anymore, so i can't provide a link.
The specimens shown though, looked different, than the ones i've personally seen which originated from the Peruvian Amazon and also from specimens originating in CR.
The species from Colombia is still bred by some hobbyists here and offspring is available from time to time. So if pictures of said specimen were of any use to you, this might perhaps be worth investigating.
I don't know who imported those, so i can't say anything about the geographical origin other than plain Colombia.

Whatever you are up to: good luck! I'd be very glad to see some research done on this particular species.