Pholcid laid eggs; anyone know how long till hatching?

Monnie

Arachnopeon
Hi,
My cellar spider Phyllis (P. phalangioides) laid eggs on Dec. 27. It's interesting. She still eats, but the other day I saw she was stalking a big fly while still holding her egg sac. Not sure how she could see past them but she clearly could. Then she fastens the egg sac in her web and finishes the kill and eats it. At first she was dropping the dead flies on the floor when she was done, but the last two flies are hanging from her ceiling. Not sure if those are so the babies can eat them?
If anyone knows:
1. How long does it take for them to hatch (all kinds of numbers online and not sure which are correct)?
2. Is the time temperature-dependent for spiders (such as how flies hatch slower in winter but also live longer)?
3. Do they need to eat between hatching and their first molt (which I'm told is about a week or a bit longer)?
4 Rookie question: Is the new hatchling considered the first instar?
5. A lot of threads talk about bad molts. What should I do/not do when they have their first molt and start leaving their mom? (Not planning to keep them all, obviously, but don't want to harm them and not sure how soon they can be released. I'll have fruit flies for them, since I don't want cannibalizing each other to be the only option)

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated. I'm very new to spiders and learning my way, still! Thanks!

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
im sorry i cannot give you specific information on this species.

however this is generally how spider eggs/babies work:

eggs
-> eggs become larger and/or change in color
-> spiderlings hatch out of egg shell and become Eggs With Legs (this is instar 1)
-> spiderlings stretch legs and continue to develope
-> spiderlings darken and molt (i2) and now can walk around

im not sure if theres any spiders who break this pattern. but once they can move they are usually i2 or later.

molting: you just need to make sure to mist the spiders for molting. i mist from high up and let only the gentlest droplets get in their webbing. they need to be seperated at some point.

Temperatures: warmer = faster, yes

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Not sure how she could see past them but she clearly could.
If you observe Pholcids capturing prey the wrangling and wrapping is often executed behind them where they can't see at all. It's pretty amazing how adept they are with those extremely long legs.