Phoenix Reptile Expo

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
Who’s going to the Phoenix Reptile Expo? And any tips for a first time expo attendee?

(I am going for the tarantulas not the reptiles!)

I’ll definitely be trying to go the 20th or 21st but work may cut me short :( but I’m hoping to find tarantulas for great prices and meet some local tarsntulabreeders I may be able to work with in the future or just learn from.

This is my first expo so I would love some tips on how to make this a beneficial experience!

Last edited by a moderator:

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
go with a planon what you want along with a limit on what you can spend browse all the stalls then after you bought what you planned then let the impulse buying begin :rofl: :rofl:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you are looking for particular species and/or sizes/sexes - especially anything that might be rare, in high demand, or otherwise hard-to-find - go early. Be there when it opens on the first day, so you can beat the other attendees to that one thing you're really after. Ask the first vendors you see if they have that species - and if they don't, ask them if they know who does. It is fairly common for the vendors to talk to each other and sometimes preview each other's stock before the show opens (and sometimes even engage in a little trading or early buying and selling with one another) so there's a good chance that one spider dealer may have a pretty good idea of what the other dealers have. If one of the vendors tells you that another vendor, at the opposite end of the expo hall, has your dream spider, you can make a beeline for that booth, rather than slowly meandering over there, checking out all the booths in between - only to find out that your dream spider has already been sold by the time you get there.

If you are looking for bargains, go late. On the afternoon of the last day, some vendors/breeders may be more willing to negotiate prices (within reason, of course!) rather than having to pack everything up and take it home. The down side, of course, is that anything particularly rare or in high demand may be gone by then.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Ask if stuff is captive bred- people are more willing to say something is not cb than they are to use the term "wild caught". Don't buy from people who give you bad vibes. If a spider is sexed, ask if they molt confirmed it themself. Bring cash.

If there's anything like curly, A seemanni, Avics- the commonly WC species that you're interested in ask where they were imported from. This can be helpful down the road, but often they won't know. If something seems too cheap, it's probably WC or male.

Ask the vendors if they have anything they produced themself. Often this is what you'll get a better deal on.

Prioritize buying spiders from spider vendors. Some people who do reptiles will also do spiders and be good with them, but often reptile vendors will put up dirt cheap juvie/subadult S Cal, H mac, Curlies, and WC stirmis to grab peoples attention. Lots of times these will be banged up so be careful.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
(I am going for the tarantulas not the reptiles!)

I’ll definitely be trying to go the 20th or 21st but work may cut me short :( but I’m hoping to find tarantulas for great prices and meet some local tarsntulabreeders I may be able to work with in the future or just learn from.

This is my first expo so I would love some tips on how to make this a beneficial experience!
Bring a lot of cash

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
It's easier to haggle when you're paying in cash. The vendor isn't paying fees to process the payment, and there's more wiggle-room for creative accounting.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I would go an hour early in case there is a line. Check online to see if you can get a floor plan of vendors and make a beeline for those you want to visit as soon as you get inside. Always use a strategy when there is something you really, really want. Another opposite kind of view is is to go later (an hour before close) to get possible deals. Or you could find a great place for lunch and do bother. I always take cooler/warmer bags if the temp requires it. But I guess Phoenix isn't frigid like Cincinnati in November!

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
I would go an hour early in case there is a line. Check online to see if you can get a floor plan of vendors and make a beeline for those you want to visit as soon as you get inside. Always use a strategy when there is something you really, really want. Another opposite kind of view is is to go later (an hour before close) to get possible deals. Or you could find a great place for lunch and do bother. I always take cooler/warmer bags if the temp requires it. But I guess Phoenix isn't frigid like Cincinnati in November!
It's easier to haggle when you're paying in cash. The vendor isn't paying fees to process the payment, and there's more wiggle-room for creative accounting.
Ask if stuff is captive bred- people are more willing to say something is not cb than they are to use the term "wild caught". Don't buy from people who give you bad vibes. If a spider is sexed, ask if they molt confirmed it themself. Bring cash.

If there's anything like curly, A seemanni, Avics- the commonly WC species that you're interested in ask where they were imported from. This can be helpful down the road, but often they won't know. If something seems too cheap, it's probably WC or male.

Ask the vendors if they have anything they produced themself. Often this is what you'll get a better deal on.

Prioritize buying spiders from spider vendors. Some people who do reptiles will also do spiders and be good with them, but often reptile vendors will put up dirt cheap juvie/subadult S Cal, H mac, Curlies, and WC stirmis to grab peoples attention. Lots of times these will be banged up so be careful.
Lots more great answers, this was definitely worth the ask! Thank you all, I think I am ready to have an amazing and fulfilling time! Just not sure exactly what I want yet but I’m going to make a list when it gets closer hopefully I’ll have more info.