'phobe's '15 photos

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aphonopelma seemanni 'threat pose'

Augacephalus enzendami 'threat pose'

Brachypelma boehmei decided to balance her ping pong ball on the edge of her water bowl.

Avicularia metallica spermathacae

Pterinochilus murinus spermathacae

Theraphosa stirmi spermathacae

Monocentropus balfouri adult female

Therphosa stirmi juvenile female

Brachypelma auratum juvenile female recent molt

Brachypelma smithi adult female recent molt

Brachypelma schroederi subadult female

Pelinobius muticus allowed a window into her world.

Last edited:

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dat ass.

Great pictures thank you for sharing phobe.

PS - explain the ping pong ball? :p

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dat ass.

Great pictures thank you for sharing phobe.

PS - explain the ping pong ball? :p
I think in one of the editions of TKG, Stan Schultz suggested offering tarantulas ping pong balls to see what they did with them. So, I tried it with several of mine. The boehmei in the photo is always shuffling hers around. She has a substrate slope in her enclosure as well as a slab of cork bark set at an incline. I've found her ping pong ball everywhere- in the water bowl, under the cork slab, top of the cork slab, etc. One day I saw her sitting beside it and slowly spinning it in place with one foot. My female LP would bury hers, then dig it out periodically before reburying. Male LP played soccer with his. There are photos in my old thread of my G porteri dragging hers up the wall of her tank. G pulchra promptly shoved hers into the bottom of her burrow then shoved every other decor item in the tank in on top of it. However, I noticed yesterday that the pulchra had unloaded her burrow and shoved everything back in in different order because I can see the ping pong ball now. Other spiders have completely ignored theirs.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"Formerphobe," would you please contact me at your convenience? (Please use the link as I've turned off private messaging on this forum.)

Cheers,

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm, why do I feel like I'm being called to the principal's office... LOL
Hahaha!

Thank you for sharing that information, it is certainly fascinating to say the least. I do recall a couple people using ping pong balls now that you mention it - but the spiders in question had destroyed them somehow.

I'll definitely have to try this with a few of mine.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm, why do I feel like I'm being called to the principal's office... LOL
Nah! If I were going to chew you out for something, I'd do it here, where I could make a complete fool of myself. I just have a question or two that the rest of these people probably wouldn't be interested in. Certainly they would be off topic and a distraction here.

Cheers,

"curiosity killed the cat" ... "but, satisfaction brought it back"

Last edited:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nah! If I were going to chew you out for something, I'd do it here, where I could make a complete fool of myself. I just have a question or two that the rest of these people probably wouldn't be interested in. Certainly they would be off topic and a distraction here.

Cheers,

"curiosity killed the cat" is "but, satisfaction brought it back"

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm back from the principal's office. >>deep sigh<<
I had to stand in the corner for 20 minutes and have to write an essay on Thou Shalt Not Harass Thy Tarantulas.....:bruised:

:laugh:
Just kidding. :coffee:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's a big GBB girl! Hopefully my female will grow as big ^^

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
G. pulchra juvenile male

B. emilia young mature female

C. marshalli MF

C. darlingi young MF

G. pulchripes teenage female

E. olivacea MF. No spermathacae in this species, just uterus externa

G. porteri juvenile female

horanjp

Arachnosquire
Video otoscope or a fancy microscope image capturing device for those scaled images??? Love em!!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aphonopelma eutylenum had a bad molt last Thursday. The exuvium did not separate at the pedicle and acted as a cinch, preventing her from extracting all four rear legs.
I ended up taking 3 legs and she will probably lose the fourth.

Today, one week post surgery, she is up and moving around and drinking water. The remaining fourth leg is useless. I may have to help her off with that. Lots of TLC to try to get this old girl to her next molt.

Her spermathacae.

---------- Post added 05-08-2015 at 12:33 PM ----------
Pterinochilus murinus female

Ceratogyrus marshalli

Ceratogyrus darlingi

Pelinobius muticus juvenile male stuffing himself in his water bowl.

Pelinobius muticus, 6 year old, 6 inch dls female parts

Encyocratella olivacea female

---------- Post added 05-08-2015 at 12:40 PM ----------

Recent molts:
Brachypelma verdezi

Brachypelma klaasi

grammostola pulchripes

Homoeomma sp blue Peru

They get into the dangedest stretching positions.

---------- Post added 05-08-2015 at 12:49 PM ----------

Nhandu chromatus

Nhandu carapoensis

Ephebopus murinus

Lampropelma violaceopes

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ugh, sorry about the bad molt there. I hope she'll manages it to her next molt, which probably won't be anytime before the next or couple years I guess. Fingers crossed, Joyce!

PS: You need a new A. versicolor. Female this time :)

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ugh, sorry about the bad molt there. I hope she'll manages it to her next molt, which probably won't be anytime before the next or couple years I guess. Fingers crossed, Joyce!

PS: Ypou need a new A. versicolor. Female this time :)
Thanks, Jan. My disabled girl is eating. :) I'm going to have to take the remaining rear leg. :-(
Funny you should mention versicolors. I have 8 slings coming along. Hoping with eight, at least one of them will be female. I seem to specialize in raising male versicolor and P metallica... Lol

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks, Jan. My disabled girl is eating. :) I'm going to have to take the remaining rear leg. :-(
Funny you should mention versicolors. I have 8 slings coming along. Hoping with eight, at least one of them will be female. I seem to specialize in raising male versicolor and P metallica... Lol
8? Oh my, you're not taking any chances this time it would seem, hehe. Suffice to say: I'm gonna die laughing here if the majority turns out female on that haul :)