Phlogiellus inermis

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got one of these spiderlings in a package deal from John Hoke earlier this year and I've found little information about them. I also never see it. The only reason I know it's alive is because I find dead bits of prey in the jar and there's always extensive webbing.

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

Phlogiellus inermis is a Species which wasn't imported into the Pettrade to my knowledge,because it is much to inconspicuous in coloration and size (brownish with a bodylength of 3 cm). The Genus Phlogiellus was established by Pocock in 1897 for all the Selenocosmia related but much smaller Species which has the Scopula on Tarsus of Leg IV divided. The Genus Neochilobrachys was synonymised with Phlogiellus by Dr. Raven in 1985. This Synonymisation was wrong, because Raven didn't examined the needed Type-Species of the genera but I did and I could recognise that Neochilobrachys is merely a Chilobrachys related Genera with small Species whilst Phlogiellus is a Selenocosmia related Genus which contains also small Species.
This Species has its spread area from Malaysia to Singapore.
A friend of mine collects this Species usually every time he visits Singapore. Because of this I have several Specimen of different age in my collection. Usually this Species builds small tubes into the forest ground with an open entrance which is camouflaged by foliage. Temperature and humidity should be similar to those of the Haplopelma or Selenocosmia Species.

Cheers, Volker

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you! I've been keeping it as an intermediate species because I didn't know enough about it, though I suspected it was a forest species because of the locality of origin and the similarities between its webbing and my Haplopelmas. I guess I'll just keep feeding it and hope to see it again someday, I wish it wasn't the same color as the peat moss it's on, though.