Philippines Pedes ID pls.

millipeter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Orin,
Mmh, there are only 6 described species of giant pill millipedes but determination is not possible with this photo. I could give you some hints for ID.

If the last joint of antennae are only present as a flat disc it could be Castanotheaoides porosus or Luzonosphaera philippina.

If the the last joint of antennae is normal cylindric shaped, it could be the following species: Castanotherium leium/hirsutellum, Sphaeropoeus sulcicollis or Zephronia innominata.

All species can only be separated by the gonopods and the presence/absent of stridulation organs. If you have a dead male and the possibility of making macroscopic pictures I could help you a lot more.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Hi Orin,
Mmh, there are only 6 described species of giant pill millipedes but determination is not possible with this photo. I could give you some hints for ID.

If the last joint of antennae are only present as a flat disc it could be Castanotheaoides porosus or Luzonosphaera philippina.

If the the last joint of antennae is normal cylindric shaped, it could be the following species: Castanotherium leium/hirsutellum, Sphaeropoeus sulcicollis or Zephronia innominata.

All species can only be separated by the gonopods and the presence/absent of stridulation organs. If you have a dead male and the possibility of making macroscopic pictures I could help you a lot more.
Thanks, I'll get some pictures of the antennae when they die. (As long as they're healthy it's rather difficult to get a good antenna photo).

Voodooschaaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
...so, if u might take a look at this pic

Greez,
Shura and the whole bunch

Last edited:

johnny888

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is a beauty!:razz: I wish I will encounter them here in the Southern part of Luzon...{D

johnny888

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is what I have for today.:)

This is a small species of myriapod, about 3-4 inches in length, they have more pair of legs compared to their larger cousins,with yellowish to orange body and a small red head. Local people call them "Anunuhot".

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Beautiful 'pedes :)

I see those black and yellow millipedes almost everywhere nowadays.