Phidippus sp. + pictures

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i finally managed to get some pictures of my jumping spider, i was wondering if anyone could help me get an id on it. i've been looking and i found some that were close but not the same, i don't know where else to look.

shes cute

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
actually i think its a Phidippus johnsoni, does that sound right?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am thinking phidippus johnsoni as well. The p. Johnsoni (female) that i found here, in san diego, have a faded red not bright red as yours, so maybe it might be something else. but again, i don't know any other phidippus with a red abdomen.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is indeed p. johnsoni, a quick YIS will confirm the ID.

Up here in Iowa we have another species in the genus that is quite common, P. audax. Are p. johnsoni very common where you're from?

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is indeed p. johnsoni, a quick YIS will confirm the ID.

Up here in Iowa we have another species in the genus that is quite common, P. audax. Are p. johnsoni very common where you're from?
in northern arizona they are. i haven't ever seen any in town, just little black/grey guys and they're always much smaller than this one is.

Emanuele

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Edi, nice shots!
Could you be so kind to send use a picture showing how large it is, just for comparison with italian jumpers..
Cheers

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Edi, nice shots!
Could you be so kind to send use a picture showing how large it is, just for comparison with italian jumpers..
Cheers
i certainly will after her eggs hatch and she calms down, she won't leave her nest without a fight

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats great! the ones I have here (Phiddipus borealis) are only red like that if they are male and the females are dark in coloration. That is a very nice Jumper!

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
nice pictures..those jumpers are pretty small. its been said, but i agree with that being johnsoni..i have a couple females at home myself. one is sitting on a sac, and the other just started webbing itself into its hammock last night. today i could barely see in there except that they are sitting by the window, so i could see the spider against the light.

i wish i could find more jumpers around here...i know they're out there, but i've only managed to find one species so far. (and not johnsoni..i ordered them through the mail.)