Phidippus regius impacted with eggs-HELP!!!

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi everyone!

I have an unusual problem. I tried searching the forums, but found nothing of help. :(

I have a MF Phididppus regius, and for a few weeks now she has not passed any fluids. She also has not been interested in prey items offered. Water was also ignored, until today.

As I checked all my spiders, I found her sitting on what looked like a silk mat, with something orange on the mat. Her abdomen is now mishapen. For her to try to build a sac as this is very strange. Anyone who knows P. regius will know what I mean.

I removed her from her enclosure so I could look at both her and the sac seperately. On closer inspection of the sac, I found exactly as I thought: a thin layer of silk with eggs that looked old and dried up. It was obvious that the eggs were not good.

The spider seems much better since she voided the few eggs. She drank a huge amount of water, which I was very glad to see! :clap: I gave her a D. hydei (FFF) to see if she would take it. She watches it and tracks it like she wants to get it, but she is not yet ready to eat.

My questions are: Has anyone had a spider whose eggs were/are impacted? And what can one do to help the spider void the rest? Also, I read somewhere that impacted eggs would likely be absorbed-BUT-I can't find that info again to read it... :wall:

I had her in ICU for 2 days prior to the voided eggs, and I put a very little warm olive oil on her anus/spinnerettes area. After each application she would rub her abdomen to try to void. No success, so after 2 days of ICU and treatments, I placed her back into her enclosure.

I would love to hear comments on this, as this is unusual and I have never encountered it. My poor girl is very docile and I want to help her all I can!

Thank you's in advance to all replies! S.

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

in my opinion there is no reason to be worry !
since april or may this year i have 2,1 p. regius mated.
and exactly what you described happens a lot of times with her now !

the first eggsac she was building completely normal, with a lot of eggs inside and she finished it. after guarding a few weeks she started to eat again.

but than the problems started : every eggsac after the first one - and this means at least 6 ! - the eggs droped out and she interupted the building process of the eggsac.
and exactly this happens with your specimen !
your female was trying to build a eggsac but the eggs droped down from the silk mat - when you saw this, the eggs were outside on air a wile and dry looking because this - because the eggs droped down your female stopped the building procedure without laying all her eggs.
now she will appear a little bit confused for a wile, with sitting on a place and "tapping" her palps down on the ground all the time.
she will maybe not eat, sometimes drink and than start again with producing an eggsac !
so don't be worry, she will not become healthy problems because the eggs inside her (not like reptiles do for example) !!!
but MAYBE she will have the same probs like my female with producing a "good" eggsac again and again...

but it will be interessting to know WHY the eggsacs are not working ? that means why the eggs are flowing down ?

any ideas ?

bye, oli

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi silberrücken,

oh please excuse me, i'm sorry !!!

some words in your post i didn't understand, for example "mishapen" and this what my dictionary told me was senseless in this context.
the given translation of "impacted" was incoherent the same !

but now...yeah, a pic tells more than thousands words...

the os shape of your poor little girl is reminding me on a picture that i saw
a few month ago. this was another sp. but with similar shape of os, i try to find this pic again and than i will look if there is any information given with the pic.

i hope she will get healthy again !

bye, oli

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi Oli!

Please do not be sorry, is OK... :)

Hmmmm.. I have question for you... what prey did you give your regius before she has problem with eggs?

Also, have no worries with to not understand some words... if you need an word described, I can tell you in Hochdeutsch so you understand well and correkt. :)

Your female did release all her eggs, with none left inside her abdomen? My regius only released half of hers-this is why her abdomen looks as it does in her fotos. I hope soon she will release all... :)

PS-do you know what happens with 'davisfam'??? They are not here since long.... :(

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

interessting that you ask for food, because before a few weeks i was asking myself if the problem is based on this.
to test it i gave her terflies and goldflies for two weeks long or so, but before, after she was adult, ONLY different kinds of crickets !
you think there is a correlation ? any experience with this ?
the flies wasn't good fed before, so i think this was low quality-food what i offered. and the following eggsac was again not working...

thanks for your offer to give me description of words in hochdeutsch ! thats pretty cool ;)

no, don't know whats up with them, but was asking me this the same ?!
maybe they are in holiday ? LOL when i think about this...no, they dont need holiday they are living in FLORIDA !!! ha,ha,ha

ciao, oli

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi Oli!

Also interesting is that you did feed your regius "low-quality" food...

I did think maybe my regius's last food was too good-quality... :confused:

She ate a Waxworm (Galleria mellonella), this I wonder was too "good" for her???

Das ist wichtig, we must learn why this did happen with our females. My male and one other female ate an Waxworm also... they are fine as far... :confused:

I will continue with to observe this sick female, and will tell you if anything new happens. As I write this, she is yet same as before. She drinks, and is interested in food but does not feed. :( I hope soon she will eat.

Where did you buy your Phidippus regius paar, darf ich mich fragen?

And LOL, Oli! You are right, Florida IS a Holiday! I do miss davisfam, they are fine people people and very quick to help if they can. I hope they come back soon! :D

Soon I will post new fotos of my small Wolf sling. It was saved from sac the Mum dropped. She wanted to eat the sac, I think but I did take it from her so she would not. I think you will like this sling. My older sling is getting BIG!!! :D:D:D

Greets, S.

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi silberrücken,

i explain my minds to food closer for better understanding :

with "low quality food" i was meaning "empty food" and that means food that is not "loaded" with good food in it's own gut before fed it to a spider.
i think "gut loading" is an english term for the opposite of this.
normally i fed all insects well for a few days before give them to my spiders or my gecko. i fed the crickets with a lot of vegetables, some fruits, cooked eggs, cereals, dry catfood (or dry dogfood) and sepia for calcium.
in the warm time of the year i catch sometimes insects from outside and fed them immidiatly to my spiders, because this is the best food of all.

but the flies in the case of the p. regius i didn't fed before. they hatched from their pupa and because i didn't have had fitting food (like fruitjuice) and because the spiders was hungry and i didn't had another fitting food at home, i fed immidiatly the empty flies to the spiders.

but the deeper mind behind to give them flies instead of crickets is this :

i know from some mantodea sp. that the cocoons of them was not working in captivity. a long time no one understand why. than a few persons fed them flies and butterflies instead of crickets and this was helping to produce successfully cocoons. reason they explained is that in the flying food items are some kinds of "aminosäure" (maybe aminoacid in english ?) which are not given in the crickets, but necessary !

you think that the waxworm was having to much protein ??
hmm, is it possible to fed to good food ??? because food that is not from outside (that means food that is bred in captivity) is everytime of lower quality i think...

bye, oli

EXOPET

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmmm... My female otiosus were fed exclusively on mealworms and waxworms, producing many fertile high yield (60 - 150) eggsacs

regius fed on mealworms and locust hoppers produced a failed eggsac. then fed her waxworms and produced viable eggsacs.

food low in nutritional value (locusts, crickets etc) seem to affect quality of eggsacs. Flies, moths, catterpillars etc seem to be good food for breeding females, mealworms are a good staple diet (dusted with nutrobal or similar) and crickets, locusts, seem to be bad food choices as they are lower in calorific and nutritional value.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
EXOPET- good that you tell me this, as I just did buy some small mealworms and waxworms. :D

I will try this diet, as I know you breed P. regius also (or you did at one time), and also P. otiosus eats what the regius do. I want to know how the P. otiosus is found so easily, yet I can't find any???? :(

Thank you for your advice, and I will update in a few weeks.

Oli- my regius is still the same as she was at last post... but no she accepts water every day. She still is very interested in prey, but she will not capture and feed. At next feedings, I will give her another waxworm (the smallest I can find). I hope she will eat. :D

Updates soon if something changes. Cheers, S.

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

@ exopet: i will try this the same with the waxworms, in case i see her again...because since a few days i didn't saw her in the terrarium. i hope that she is only hiding in the bark background and not dead.
@ silberrücken : i press my thumbs !

bye, oli