Phidippus Regius Housing

Ethel Webster

Arachnosquire
I brought Ethel Webster home in a small plastic tub that she had been living quite happily in for a few months in the shop. Anyhow, the cage I had planned for her I was advised would still be too small. I have now housed her in a faunarium that measures 30w x 23h x 21d cms. I am now wondering if this is too big or 'fussy' for her. I want her to be in something that looks nice rather than a plastic tub sat on the side, lol! She has set up 'home' in the small cardboard tube. I put it near the top in the hope that she would use it rather than make a web nest on the lid of the cage and I think it's worked! What do fellow owners think - is this too big and fussy for a jumper? I think she's pretty much fully grown. 20170308_094535.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cardboard is a great way to grow mold if it gets moist.

The only thing you'll have to be concerned about is if it hunts down food. Tiny prey can easily hide, even from a visual hunter in that setup. Perhaps something a bit smaller would increase prey/predator interactions. However, if it's been doing fine in there in terms of eating, no need to change.

If those are silk flowers, at least in the USA, they have dyes, and chemicals are a 'no-no' for Ts, and would be the same for spiders too.

Ethel Webster

Arachnosquire
Thanks. A few things to think about there. That plastic pot is in there so I can put food in so it won't disappear out of sight. Do you think I should have left her in the tiny tub she was in at the shop? I was advised to put her in something bigger to give her room to jump. The flowers aren't silk, they are some kind of material but neither they nor the cardboard get very when I mist the cage nor do they stay wet. I avoid spraying the cardboard anyway.

Last edited:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
The enclosure from the shop looks good enough for me! I use Amac boxes with small holes drilled into it. You don't want to go too big with the enclosure size, but that's just my personal preference.

Ethel Webster

Arachnosquire
Ok guys. I've made this set up this afternoon. I'm much happier with this as it's much more natural than my last creation. About a quarter of the size too. Let's hope Ethel Webster likes it as much as I do!

Attachments