Phidippus Regius help

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
She'll just be full. If she's full she doesn't need to come out and hunt.
So it turns out that she actually molted! I'm kind of worried because I had no idea it would occur, I was told she was an adult and she would notgrow. I gave her one of those crickets yesterday and she finally ate after 3 weeks. Is there anything I should be doing now?? Should I give her another cricket tomorrow? Here she is in her new, orange glory.

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
So it turns out that she actually molted! I'm kind of worried because I had no idea it would occur, I was told she was an adult and she would notgrow. I gave her one of those crickets yesterday and she finally ate after 3 weeks. Is there anything I should be doing now?? Should I give her another cricket tomorrow? Here she is in her new, orange glory.
Fantastic!!! She's stunning.

You could always try her with another cricket. She'll either eat it or ignore it. If she's out and about she's hungry.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Fantastic!!! She's stunning.

You could always try her with another cricket. She'll either eat it or ignore it. If she's out and about she's hungry.
Thank you! Just to be clear, she won't be out and about if she's not hungry? No movement for the purpose of exploration or exercise?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thank you! Just to be clear, she won't be out and about if she's not hungry? No movement for the purpose of exploration or exercise?
Possibly but females tend to stay in their webs if they're not hungry for the most part.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Spray both. She'll drink off the side.
So she has taken to extending her web to the lid once more. It seems like I'll have to invest in a new enclosure....Once I'm sure she isn't laying an egg sack. She's gotten nice and plump since her molt and hasn't shown interest in extending her web until now. Is it okay to move her or is she preparing to lay eggs and should be left undisturbed? In the picture the patch of web closest to the cork is what she was residing in. Everything above that (connecting to the lid) is new.

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
So she has taken to extending her web to the lid once more. It seems like I'll have to invest in a new enclosure....Once I'm sure she isn't laying an egg sack. She's gotten nice and plump since her molt and hasn't shown interest in extending her web until now. Is it okay to move her or is she preparing to lay eggs and should be left undisturbed? In the picture the patch of web closest to the cork is what she was residing in. Everything above that (connecting to the lid) is new.
Does that not have a front opening door? Looks like an exo terra.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Like most true spiders (araneomorphs), jumping spiders stop molting once they reach maturity.
I'm unsure how to tag people in posts so I'm responding to this again because I know you are well versed in the realm of true spiders and I would like to know what you think about my recent posts in this thread.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm unsure how to tag people in posts so I'm responding to this again because I know you are well versed in the realm of true spiders and I would like to know what you think about my recent posts in this thread.
You can tag people by user name, and depending on their alert settings, they will be notified. For example, @Ungoliant would tag me.

So she has taken to extending her web to the lid once more. It seems like I'll have to invest in a new enclosure....Once I'm sure she isn't laying an egg sack. She's gotten nice and plump since her molt and hasn't shown interest in extending her web until now. Is it okay to move her or is she preparing to lay eggs and should be left undisturbed?
Has she molted in your care? If so, unless she has mated since her last molt, it is unlikely that she is preparing to make an egg sac, as any sperm that she was storing would be lost during a molt. (Jumping spiders do not molt after maturity, so it would be pretty unusual to have her mate and then molt.)

Note: Sometimes spiders make "dud" egg sacs that are not viable.

Jumping spiders make silken retreats for resting, so reinforcing that is not, in and of itself, a sign that an egg sac is imminent.

Is it okay to move her or is she preparing to lay eggs and should be left undisturbed?
I don't have experience with keeping jumpers, but I would say that if she needs to be rehoused for her safety or to prevent escape, go ahead and do that. It would be better for her to make the sac (if she is preparing to do that) in her new home.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
You can tag people by user name, and depending on their alert settings, they will be notified. For example, @Ungoliant would tag me

Has she molted in your care? If so, unless she has mated since her last molt, it is unlikely that she is preparing to make an egg sac, as any sperm that she was storing would be lost during a molt. (Jumping spiders do not molt after maturity, so it would be pretty unusual to have her mate and then molt.)

Note: Sometimes spiders make "dud" egg sacs that are not viable.

Jumping spiders make silken retreats for resting, so reinforcing that is not, in and of itself, a sign that an egg sac is imminent.

I don't have experience with keeping jumpers, but I would say that if she needs to be rehoused for her safety or to prevent escape, go ahead and do that. It would be better for her to make the sac (if she is preparing to do that) in her new home.
She has molted once in my care and I believe it was the last one in her life span. I am wanting to rehouse her so I don't destroy the web whenever I have to remove the lid to remove cricket husks.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
She has molted once in my care and I believe it was the last one in her life span. I am wanting to rehouse her so I don't destroy the web whenever I have to remove the lid to remove cricket husks

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
She has molted once in my care and I believe it was the last one in her life span. I am wanting to rehouse her so I don't destroy the web whenever I have to remove the lid to remove cricket husks
Then it's probably safe to go ahead and rehouse her, since she won't be making a viable sac.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Oh by the way, how do your pronounce your username?
Ungoliant is a primordial spider from Tolkien's The Silmarillion, the mother of Shelob from The Two Towers. The name is Sindarin (the main Elven language spoken in Middle Earth) for "Dark Spider" and is pronounced oong-GOHL-yant (IPA uŋˈɡoljant).

Last edited: