Phidippus Hybrids?

JoP

Arachnosquire
Does anybody here know if there have ever been P. regius and P. audax hybrids? I've heard of regius and otiosus hybrids, so hybridization does occur, but I've never found anything confirming hybrids of those two species. I'd love some scientific or even just anecdotal info one way or another if anybody knows.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not much info out there on Phid hybridization. One record of P. audax and P. otiosus hybrid, though that was before the taxonomy got flushed out, so it may not be accurate.

JoP

Arachnosquire
Not much info out there on Phid hybridization. One record of P. audax and P. otiosus hybrid, though that was before the taxonomy got flushed out, so it may not be accurate.
I've noticed. I can't find anything on it. I know for a fact that regius and otiosus hybridization occurs (both in CB situations and in the wild), but I can't seem to find anything on regius/audax hybrids. However, I'd imagine with how similar the two species are, and the fact that other Phid hybridization does occur, it probably does happen, although there's a good chance the hybrids are misclassified as one or the other because they generally have a similar "look," except for a few traits here and there.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
I read an article years ago, I believe in the JoA, about hybridization within the genus and what it said- if I'm recalling correctly- is that they can breed, but only in their "group." Since audax and regius are in different groups, I'd assume they cannot breed.

JoP

Arachnosquire
I read an article years ago, I believe in the JoA, about hybridization within the genus and what it said- if I'm recalling correctly- is that they can breed, but only in their "group." Since audax and regius are in different groups, I'd assume they cannot breed.

Just looked up the article, thanks for mentioning it. I never knew the subgroups were so well-defined within the genus.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Phids.net use to raise hybrid Phidippus I just can’t remember which species. :/

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Otiosus and regius can interbreed, though their offspring are sterile and often have developmental problems

Otiosus and audax are incapable of hybridizing, it's like a lock and key, only closely related members of a species complex can interbreed, because of genital structure

Tisatrix

Arachnopeon
I've noticed. I can't find anything on it. I know for a fact that regius and otiosus hybridization occurs (both in CB situations and in the wild), but I can't seem to find anything on regius/audax hybrids. However, I'd imagine with how similar the two species are, and the fact that other Phid hybridization does occur, it probably does happen, although there's a good chance the hybrids are misclassified as one or the other because they generally have a similar "look," except for a few traits here and there.
Phid Kingdom sells these hybrids (Otiosis and Regius) and they are beautiful. Their offspring are also fertile and have no problems reproducing. I have one of his male slings, named Phoenix. He is thriving and beautiful.

Attachments

Tisatrix

Arachnopeon
A photo of the box they arrived in. Unfortunately, Fed-Ex killed my female due to delivering my package 2 days late. :(

Attachments