Phiddipus regius sometimes sleeps outside hammock at night sometimes. Is she okay?

remarah1337

Arachnosquire
Hello I was wondering if my jumping spider Kiwi was okay… She is approximately 6th instar. :)

She’s been sleeping outside her hammock sometimes (not every night shes only done this twice) at night which I consider odd behavior. Just on the wall of the enclosure. She seems to react well to stimuli but is not eating (she was fed 8 days ago, her abdomen is still on the plump side but not overfed)
Shes sticking to the walls of the enclosure just fine and made a hammock last night and slept in it. She seems healthy and well. I’ve looked up signs of jumping spiders dying and she doesn’t exhibit them at all. Idk it’s just weird as hell.

Is it possible it’s because shes captive bred and she just… learned that she won’t be harmed or disturbed in her enclosure? I don’t get it lol!

She also tends to “stay up” later than my other Phiddipus regius who goes to bed at 7-8pm. Sometimes up to 11:30pm but she’s been doing that since a sling, even when I dim the lights to let her know bed time is coming. Maybe she’s just a crazy spider?

Feedback on Kiwi will be appreciated.

For more information she was rehoused September 11th. Basically two weeks ago, if that has anything to do with this odd behavior.

For more information she was rehoused September 11th. Basically two weeks ago, if that has anything to do with this odd behavior.
Oh… I think this is resolved. I turned off the light for a few minutes and back on and now she’s in her hammock and reinforcing it. -_- She probably did this the last time too. Omg. YOU SILLY SPOOD LOL!!!

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Do we speak of a spider or one of your children?
Don't worry, the spider knows what it's doing and doesn't need to be raised that way.

LadyShia77

Arachnobaron
Do we speak of a spider or one of your children?
Don't worry, the spider knows what it's doing and doesn't need to be raised that way.
They were obviously talking about their spood that they were concerned about. I believe they know a spider is different than a child lol and it is okay to be concerned about your spood if you're not used to their behaviors. Your comment seems a bit unnecessary, rude, and off-putting. I'm glad op's concern about their spood was put to rest and that their spood is okay.

Last edited:

LadyShia77

Arachnobaron
What?
You mean direct and on point?
Or not sugar coated?

Why would i?
No, I mean unnecessary, rude, and off-putting. There was nothing to "sugar coat". Your comment was neither "direct nor on point" as you didn't address anything about op's concerns. Instead, you felt the need to try and mock them by assuming they were treating their spood as a child. If you honestly see nothing wrong with what you said to the op, then maybe we should see what admins think.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
No, I mean unnecessary, rude, and off-putting. There was nothing to "sugar coat". Your comment was neither "direct nor on point" as you didn't address anything about op's concerns. Instead, you felt the need to try and mock them by assuming they were treating their spood as a child. If you honestly see nothing wrong with what you said to the op, then maybe we should see what admins think.
I said, that a wild animal is not like a child going to bed at 20:15 when you want it to. This should take out all the concerns.

Anyways, If you're looking for a fuzz, put words in my post or twist it's meanings, there is a report button.