Phiddipus regius - Is she adult yet?

mindstorm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, to all Phiddipus regius experts... her body length is nearly 12mm but i read that they could grow much larger. Just want to know wheather is she already adult. What specific features does an adult female/male has? She eats voraciously.

This is my first time keeping phiddipus. Thanks any help.

Attachments

Last edited:

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
mindstorm, are you sure this is a P.regius? It looks very much like a sub-adult female Phidippus otiosus! :eek: I want very much one of these! :drool:

She is very beautiful, and I am very happy that you found her!

I will write a caresheet and post it here soon. S.

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi together,

sorry @ silberrücken ;) but i can't agree in all.
it is a p. regius with the typical abdominal pattern. but i agree that she's looking subadult - without garantie, because on this pics it's not clearly to see.
mindstorm, it's possible that you take a close-up shoot from her ventral opisthosoma (undersite) ? Maybe, wn know more than...

regards, oli

mindstorm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks silberrücken. will look forward to your care sheet. i didn't found her. i bought her as a p. regius.

hi revilo, here's the underside pic. what actually are u looking for from this underside pic?

Attachments

EXOPET

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah, she's pre subadult or subadult, my females attained a size of around 15mm to 18mm in body length.

keep at 75% humidity and ambient temp for you unless you have air con then she needs to be kept at around 20 to 30 celcius (I keep mine at 22 degrees)

hope this helps

mindstorm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks

Thanks all for the reply.
Exopet, I didn't know they need that low temperature. My phiddipus are kept at around 28 C here and they seem to be doing ok.

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

i wanted to see the little sclerotisiest (is this correct in english ?) triangle to oval shaped area in the anterior 1/3 part (front area) of opisthosoma = the epigyne.

the pic is sadly not clear in this region, but it's possible to see the epigyne and so i will say it's for sure not presubadult because the epigyne is well structured. it is for sure subadult or adult, more i won't say with this pic...

bye,oli

EXOPET

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks all for the reply.
Exopet, I didn't know they need that low temperature. My phiddipus are kept at around 28 C here and they seem to be doing ok.
I keep them at that temp so they live longer, I would imagine the hot and humid atmosphere of Malaysia would suit them perfectly, but higher temps = shorter (but more active) lifespans in Phidippus.

mindstorm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
revilo, ok thanks for the info. i think she maybe subadult because the past 2 days, after feeding voraciously she has again built herself a big tight nest and refuse to come out or feed... probably going to moult again.

exopet, yeah i agree with u. cooler temp slows their metab and they feed less frequently too. let's see how big will she grow to in her next moult.

mindstorm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here she is... full grown now i suppose! barely 2 weeks in between moults at 28-30 degree celcius here! but i suppose it's also because she's one perpetually hungry jumper...

Attachments

Last edited: