Phiddipus regius / Any jumping spider help

basin79

ArachnoGod
Oh yeh praying mantis are my favourite insect but we dont have them here. Do you buy your animals food and home or make and catch them?
I live in England too. I buy all my pets apart from a house spider I'm keeping at the moment.

Edit.

I misunderstood your question. I buy and raise my livefood and buy enclosures for my pets.

HamZ

Arachnosquire
I live in England too. I buy all my pets apart from a house spider I'm keeping at the moment.

Edit.

I misunderstood your question. I buy and raise my livefood and buy enclosures for my pets.
you live in england :D thats cool i just capture all my pets and food. Tomorrow will be a sunny day for England so jumping spiders.will be everywhere

basin79

ArachnoGod
you live in england :D thats cool i just capture all my pets and food. Tomorrow will be a sunny day for England so jumping spiders.will be everywhere
Just be careful what you catch and where you catch the food. For example your neighbours might spray insecticide and you could catch a fly etcetera that has been affected.

What I used to do is leave doors open to let flies in. Then leave them for a few hours. If they where alive and well I'd use them.

HamZ

Arachnosquire
Just be careful what you catch and where you catch the food. For example your neighbours might spray insecticide and you could catch a fly etcetera that has been affected.

What I used to do is leave doors open to let flies in. Then leave them for a few hours. If they where alive and well I'd use them.
Oh ok thanks for the advise and a question what are the jumping spider species youve come across so far in england

basin79

ArachnoGod
Oh ok thanks for the advise and a question what are the jumping spider species youve come across so far in england
In the North West I've only ever seen the Zebra jumpers. They're quite small but beautiful.

HamZ

Arachnosquire
I'd estimate the biggest I've ever seen is around 8mm.
its a sunny day and i caught 3 jumpers all the same species but im gonna release one since it cant climb plastic surfaces even though over ones can whys that?

basin79

ArachnoGod
its a sunny day and i caught 3 jumpers all the same species but im gonna release one since it cant climb plastic surfaces even though over ones can whys that?
I'm not sure. Maybe old age?

LittleGremlin

Arachnopeon
How do you take care of your small juvenile jumpers?
I just got one, he (i believe but not 100% on) is so tiny i keep him in the vial that he arrived in, i believe as adults they need quite a lot of room to practice jumping and exercise.

I mist one side lightly every day, when i say he's small i mean it, so a water dish wouldn't be good.
I feed him fruit flies :)
Here's a little photo of the set up, it seems to be working well.
He makes little web pockets mostly on the little stick in there, i only recently added the almond shell because i thought it'd make a good place to pocket himself in if he wanted to and the substrate is vermiculite. (Tiny black thing on the side is him).

See previous post on how i care for mine.

HamZ

Arachnosquire
Because all they want to do is find a mate and breed when they're adults. For better to let them if they're native.
oh ok i asked because i just caught a male zebra spider he was pretty big aswell but i released him just now