Phiddipus regius / Any jumping spider help

LittleGremlin

Arachnopeon
I just got one, he (i believe but not 100% on) is so tiny i keep him in the vial that he arrived in, i believe as adults they need quite a lot of room to practice jumping and exercise.

I mist one side lightly every day, when i say he's small i mean it, so a water dish wouldn't be good.
I feed him fruit flies :)
Here's a little photo of the set up, it seems to be working well.
He makes little web pockets mostly on the little stick in there, i only recently added the almond shell because i thought it'd make a good place to pocket himself in if he wanted to and the substrate is vermiculite. (Tiny black thing on the side is him).

HamZ

Arachnosquire
you see my new spider i showed you i got it on the last sunday and ive put some a small moth and fly in the tank and it hasnt eaten them since:(

HamZ

Arachnosquire
You did thoroughly wash the tub out and dry it beforehand didn't you? Even then I wouldn't trust it.

Could well be a mature male. Probably best to let him go and let him live out his life.
i tested my spiders climbing ability and it seems it cant climb any plastic surfaces i dont if i should release it since it might not be able to hunt :( do you have any advise

basin79

ArachnoGod
i tested my spiders climbing ability and it seems it cant climb any plastic surfaces i dont if i should release it since it might not be able to hunt :( do you have any advise
What have you got to feed it?

basin79

ArachnoGod
i have a fly and moth both smaller than the spider however they can climb the plastic
I'd let it go personally. If you want a jumping spider have a look at a Phidippus regius.

HamZ

Arachnosquire
I'd let it go personally. If you want a jumping spider have a look at a Phidippus regius.
I think ill have to it seems more adapted to bark and wood. And the thing is qith the Phidippus regius isbi live in london so they arent there

HamZ

Arachnosquire
I released:( it but tomorrow is a sunny day in london so ill probably get a different species.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I think ill have to it seems more adapted to bark and wood. And the thing is qith the Phidippus regius isbi live in london so they arent there
Yes. I meant research into them and then buy one.

HamZ

Arachnosquire
Yes. I meant research into them and then buy one.
That wont happen till im like sixteen lol and my mum definately won't buy me one now so ill just stick to the species in my area. and thank you so much for the advice and help

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
That wont happen till im like sixteen lol and my mum differently won't buy me one now so ill just stick to the species in my area. and thank you so much for the advice and help
Ah alright.

HamZ

Arachnosquire
Man but it was only recently i became so obsessed with these spiders i think its because of there intelligent and the way they look at you like no other arthropod would :embarrassed:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Man but it was only recently i became so obsessed with these spiders i think its because of there intelligent and the way they look at you like no other arthropod would :embarrassed:
Yep. I have an adult male and juvenile female Phidippus regius. Absolutely unbelievable spiders.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Praying mantids look at you too. And I've got Harpegnathos venator ants that look at me too.

HamZ

Arachnosquire
Oh yeh praying mantis are my favourite insect but we dont have them here. Do you buy your animals food and home or make and catch them?