Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Phiddipus regius / Any jumping spider help

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Tropah, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Tropah

Tropah Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello, i've been wanting to get on of these little jumpers for a while but i don't know how to care for it i was wondering if anyone on here could help me.

The information i'd like to know is:

What substrate is needed:
    What size tank (if possible a link to one) (preferably cheap)
    Will i need to spray down the enclosure or just over fill the water bowl a bit
    Should i feed it meal worms as i have some mini ones already?

Sorry for asking so much but 1 more question

Do any of you guys sell these in the UK ?

Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  2. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

I use a 5 litre clear tub for mine. Substrate is peat moss but you could use kitchen roll. I keep the substrate slightly damp and spray once a week.

I feed my 2 mainly blue bottles that I hatch from casters I buy. They also get crickets and the odd wax worm/moth.

3. Tropah

Tropah Arachnopeon

Thank you so much pal i'll be sure to try to pick up one do you not leave a water dish you just spray it down? and with true spiders do you just spray the substrate and not the sides?

4. Tropah

Tropah Arachnopeon

and do you keep any twigs or leaves inside btw i was the one that asked you on instagram about tarantulas aha

5. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoemperor Active Member

I didn't add a waterdish with mine because from what i've gathered, this species can drown and don't float. I just lightly mist their vials (mine are babies) two times a week. Because they're so small, i feed flightless fruitflies and springtails. Branches and interior decoration is appreciated bij them, they seem to be interested in new items in their surroundings.
    I am by no means an expert though, since i just started keeping them myself. @basin79 knows waaaay more :D

6. Tropah

Tropah Arachnopeon

Even though you may not be an expert every bit helps thank you

7. Tropah

Tropah Arachnopeon

you think mixing peat moss and vermiculite will be good?

8. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoking Active Member

CT
    Jumpers don't need substrate. Unless you want to make the enclosure good to look at, a clear, blank Amac box with drilled air holes would work. Make sure it's high like something you would put an arboreal tarantula sling in. All you would have to do is spray the sides near the jumper daily. They will eat small crickets, it's pretty fun to watch them pounce on their prey. If you were to add substrate you could always use a plain coco fiber substrate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Tropah

Tropah Arachnopeon

thank you pal

10. basin79

I have a slab of cork bark stood up so they have something to climb about and over.

11. Tropah

Tropah Arachnopeon

ahh tysm for all the advice

12. HamZ

HamZ Arachnosquire

Hello i recently caught a jumping spider i dont know the species but its brown like 17mm and its flat and has the bulky crab like forelegs and im just wondering what things i could feed it. i live in london aswell.

13. basin79

Can you post a pic?

14. HamZ

HamZ Arachnosquire

15. basin79

I just copy and paste from Tapatalk. There is a pic icon though next to the smiley face at the top. That should work.

16. HamZ

HamZ Arachnosquire

unfortunately that doesn't work for me whilst i get thepic from my phone to computer could you tell me if theres a way to make the transparent plastic that my spider habitat is made of climbable for it like glue.

17. basin79

The spider should be able to climb up the plastic sides easily.

18. HamZ

HamZ Arachnosquire

Mine cant i dont know if shes old or what however the container used to be a hair gel container and it was quite slippery so i dont know if thats the reason.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. basin79

You did thoroughly wash the tub out and dry it beforehand didn't you? Even then I wouldn't trust it.

Could well be a mature male. Probably best to let him go and let him live out his life.

20. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoking Active Member

CT
    Try sending the picture to your email, save it on your computer, then post it here! This way we can give you an accurate identification. Good luck with your new addition!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.