Phasmid bites...especially the big'uns like H. ditata...painful?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I know pain is a relative sensation...some people are more sensitive than others but I have been reading about phasmids on the net a good bit lately and some sites claim these critters have a pretty painful bite, others say it's not so painful. Anyone with firsthand experience and what do you consider your tolerance to sharp pain (I suppose it's a sharp pain rather than a dull throbbing lol)?

I don't keep these...that would be against USDA regulations since I live in the US ;) BUT...if I did I might one night be tempted to try handling one, especially after a beer or two (yay for liquid courage lol...but not so bad I'm sloppy like liquid). Some sites suggest that with repeated handling they can become used to it and less prone to nipping...

edit: it was bound to happen...i finally spelled the species wrong lol. "dilatata"

the_frog_kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the bite doesnt hurt its the leg pinching that hurts
i have a bloody whole in my finger from my eurycantha calcarata male

thanx froggy

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dilitata's dont bite...plain and simple (unless their starved but still I've never witnessed it). As said before, it's the spines on the back legs that aren't too much fun (the relativity of pain set aside, it hurts like HELL when their adult!). The only phasmids that regularly "bite" to my knowledge, are Eurycnema.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
hmmm...well, i'm finishing beer number two...now, supposing I had some of these...how would i go about telling if they're very hungry or not? lol

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Phasmids

HEllo,
Phasmid won't be able to bite, unles you are a leaf.
Their mouth parts are designed to eat plants, and they always start by the edge of the leaf, that is the only thing it would fit in their mouth.
regards

That is the reason why they have other means of defense, spines,playing dead,squirting toxic chemicals among others.
regards
FT

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
thanks greg and ftorres...from observing their feeding routine (video of course ;)), that's what I was thinking. I managed to briefly handle both these puppies in a dream I had tonight...the female was much more cooperative than the male (he just didn't want to move). Got my confidence up a bit :)

I know most people don't advocate handling T's...does the same generally go for phasmids? I"d hate to have a lot of dreams like this and stress them out...I rarely handle my T's (only when slings actually...i have a severe fear of needles and fangs lol).

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Little kids always ask us at the bug zoo if our phasmids bite . . . I usually reply "only if you taste like blackberry leaves."

That scares more kids than you'd think. :D

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
lol...maybe they had blackberry jam on their lunch sandwiches ;)

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the stick insects we have here(ne pa) are real calm and i could imagine them even wanting to bite you let alone it hurting

Danx

Arachnopeon
I know pain is a relative sensation...some people are more sensitive than others but I have been reading about phasmids on the net a good bit lately and some sites claim these critters have a pretty painful bite, others say it's not so painful. Anyone with firsthand experience and what do you consider your tolerance to sharp pain (I suppose it's a sharp pain rather than a dull throbbing lol)?

I don't keep these...that would be against USDA regulations since I live in the US ;) BUT...if I did I might one night be tempted to try handling one, especially after a beer or two (yay for liquid courage lol...but not so bad I'm sloppy like liquid). Some sites suggest that with repeated handling they can become used to it and less prone to nipping...

edit: it was bound to happen...i finally spelled the species wrong lol. "dilatata"
lol

Hi, I live in Queensland Australia & have handled a variety of species & sizes & Ive never been bitten.
They are lovely creatures that usually fall down from the tree canopy when it’s very windy.
This one came down in the last big storm & I found it seeking shelter at my front door.
When the storm was over I took him back to the trees because he would have been hungry & it takes them a while to settle stalk, catch & eat a meal.
I couldn’t imagine keeping one as a pet as they have a fair range, are predators & I think it’s a bit cruel to keep one of these magnificent creatures confined
I hope this helps
Dan

Attachments

Danx

Arachnopeon

lol

Hi, I live in Queensland Australia & have handled a variety of species & sizes & Ive never been bitten.
They are lovely creatures that usually fall down from the tree canopy when it’s very windy.
This one came down in the last big storm & I found it seeking shelter at my front door.
When the storm was over I took him back to the trees because he would have been hungry & it takes them a while to settle stalk, catch & eat a meal.
I couldn’t imagine keeping one as a pet as they have a fair range, are predators & I think it’s a bit cruel to keep one of these magnificent creatures confined
I hope this helps
Dan

I hope this helps
Dan

Danx

Arachnopeon
hmmm...well, i'm finishing beer number two...now, supposing I had some of these...how would i go about telling if they're very hungry or not? lol

This one is in predator mode in my garden right now, I think it’s a medium sized Titan that I have seen in my garden for the last 2 years
We have had a bit of rain & the sun has just come out & he is a bit hungry angry. Haha
It found a great spot with good vantage & passing insect traffic. It’s front legs are folded up trying to look small & anything that passes is potential food that it will take a swipe at.
I hope it gets something quick because it’s not well camouflaged against the green & it’s almost meal time for the local birds

Danx

Arachnopeon
Very old thread.
Sorry
Im a nature lover not a tech lover
Haha
This sounds like one of the few species Australia doesn’t have the deadliest, most poisonous, nastiest, bite happy species on the planet by the sound of it.
I have heard of them fishing for small fish in ponds if they can get close enough & stay dry
Thanks for your reply

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Sorry
Im a nature lover not a tech lover
Haha
This sounds like one of the few species Australia doesn’t have the deadliest, most poisonous, nastiest, bite happy species on the planet by the sound of it.
I have heard of them fishing for small fish in ponds if they can get close enough & stay dry
Thanks for your reply
No problem, we all have our moments!