Phantom egg sac experiences?

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
I decided to post this in Tarantula Chat, rather than Questions and Discussions, as I don't really have a "scientific" question. More looking for a casual chat / your experiences :)

My juvenile female P. irminia dropped a phantom egg sac some days ago, which I discovered today. I originally assumed she was molting, because she didn't emerge for the past few days, sealed up her web tube and would be overdue. Turns out she had a little craft project instead. Naturally I contacted the breeder, just to make sure that he didn't try to pair her up before selling her to me. According to him, almost every female from the same egg sac is building these phantom sacs. This statement really surprised me, as I never really paid much attention to that topic before. Most of all, I'm just happy it's not a fertilized sac... not ready to be a dad yet and least of all a P. irminia dad.

What are your experiences with phantom egg sacs? Do you just let the T eat it? Did you notice a greater pairing success with these specimens? Any other observations?

P. Irminia Kokon 2.jpg
P. Irminia Kokon.jpg

uncle bane

Arachnopeon
Never had a phantom sac but interested to see what happens. Let’s us know if she just eats it, or after how many days she abandons it.

cold blood

Staff member

cold blood

Staff member
ABSOLUTE DISAPPOINTMENT
Yep, when my 2 dropped phantom sacs it was a major face palm as I had just sold a MM...I coulda just used him on both females but I wasn't sure they were actually mature yet...had I known I coulda been swimming in cams.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep, when my 2 dropped phantom sacs it was a major face palm as I had just sold a MM...I coulda just used him on both females but I wasn't sure they were actually mature yet...had I known I coulda been swimming in cams.
That sucks too

DarkInvader

Arachnopeon
I rememeber I got a adult T when I first started in the hobby and a few months after I saw an eggsac in her hide and she wasnt coming out. I was so excited and nervous how I would go about caring for all those slings. A week later she abandoned it and i took it out to find nothing inside. It was the only time I ever got a phantom sac.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
After 3.5 weeks, the P. irminia is still clutching her egg sac tightly. She was a fantastic eater before and gained some good weight beforehand, so I'm not too worried about her hiding away.

She "stood guard" outside her burrow a few times, but the slightest disturbance made her run back to her egg sac, immediately embracing it again. What an awesome "mom"... Wouldn't mind her eating the sac though, so we can get back to the regular scheduled programming.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My Caribena versicolor had a phantom sac and my Chilobrachys fimbriatus is currently carrying 1 around. She's had it 4 weeks. Hopefully she realises soon and bins it or I'll take it off her in another couple of weeks.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus female laid one earlier this year, thought she was gearing up to moult and then checked in on her one day to find her clutching a sac. I just pulled it and fed her.

View media item 67025

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Update on my P. Irminia "mom". In the past weeks she spent an increasing amount of time outside of her burrow, also during day time. Naturally, I tried feeding her, to see if she would show a response. Nothing. Even as the feeder touched her front legs. She is usually the most reliable eater in my collection, so I assume she is still in "guard mode" to protect the eggsac and simply patrols the outside. I tried again today and she retreated back into the hole, with a threat posture towards the feeder. In my experience, she would seal up the entrance to the burrow, if it was premolt. She is also considerably thinner since the last time I posted and I'm starting to get worried/annoyed at this situation. I was hoping that she would consume the egg sac, molt and get back to her usual behavior. Don't know if I should remove the sac or continue to wait...

20200615_133231.jpg 20200615_133218.jpg 20200615_132611.jpg

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Personally, I’d pull it. While she’s not likely going to starve, not really doing either of y’all any good to leave it.
Just my $0.02.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My Caribena versicolor had a phantom sac and my Chilobrachys fimbriatus is currently carrying 1 around. She's had it 4 weeks. Hopefully she realises soon and bins it or I'll take it off her in another couple of weeks.
She dumped her eggsac in her water dish earlier this week.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Went to feed my AF Pseudoclamoris gigas last week to find that she was sitting on a dud sac, pulled it and chucked her a couple of roaches because she was looking ridiculously skinny.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
She dumped her eggsac in her water dish earlier this week.
That would be a godsend... I have tried separating my girl from the eggsac and pull it, but she kept fighting my tools for 10 minutes. The spot in the corner of the enclosure doesn't make it any easier. The slightest vibration makes her bolt straight to the bottom of her lair and she takes the sac with her. I left a transfer cup at the opening and she even crawled into it, but as soon as I grab it she shoots back down. I'd hate to tear apart the enclosure just because of some stupid dud sac, especially since she didn't molt for ages. Maybe I somehow get to it from the bottom :rolleyes:

basin79

ArachnoGod
That would be a godsend... I have tried separating my girl from the eggsac and pull it, but she kept fighting my tools for 10 minutes. The spot in the corner of the enclosure doesn't make it any easier. The slightest vibration makes her bolt straight to the bottom of her lair and she takes the sac with her. I left a transfer cup at the opening and she even crawled into it, but as soon as I grab it she shoots back down. I'd hate to tear apart the enclosure just because of some stupid dud sac, especially since she didn't molt for ages. Maybe I somehow get to it from the bottom :rolleyes:
Well my C. fimbriatus lass had hers around 7 weeks. She's made herself a really smart web fortress so I didn't want to ruin it. And I would have had to.

Thankfully my versi lass was holding hers near the entrance of her cork bark so I was able to get that.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Well my C. fimbriatus lass had hers around 7 weeks. She's made herself a really smart web fortress so I didn't want to ruin it. And I would have had to.

Thankfully my versi lass was holding hers near the entrance of her cork bark so I was able to get that.
You got really lucky then :). I managed to dig another access point at the bottom, but couldn't really get an angle on the sac. Now I have to leave for my shift, but maybe I'll catch the sac unguarded in the evening or tomorrow. I'll post the result ;)

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Today marks the day of a great victory. My P. irminia was at the top of her tube, the false egg sac left unguarded. I grabbed my long tongs to make my way inside her burrow from the bottom, but as soon as I touched the dirt, she jumped downwards and slowly started to spin around to face my tool. Countering with a "cake tester" tool, I made her spin around again and go back up, while snatching the sac from beneath her. It was the perfect crime.

Irminia lure.jpg Irminia Sac.jpg Irminia Sac Open.jpg Irminia pissed.jpg

After I checked the sac and disposed of it, I noticed my T at the top of her web tube, looking quite bamboozled. I triple checked that her enclosure is locked, because that girl is out for blood. Somehow I think that won't be the last phantom sac from her, but I guess I'll have to wait and see... For now I'm just happy that it went so smoothly.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
My C Versicolor dissapeared a few months ago. I thought she was molting. Never use a cork tube! She finally wandered out of the corktube one day so I could see what's going on. Saw her guarding the sac. I read on here that she won't eat until you take it away so I did. She didn't put up a fight and ate later that night.