Phampho humidity?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Are multiple water dishes fine for humidity, my substrate seems all dry . Two of the water dishes are on the side of the tank the spider never visits .(rather useless for drinking) .
should I remove the saran wrap from the lid? Or keep it for better humidity.
I know it sounds like a basic a question, but I want to be on the safe side. My only of the genus left .
I plan on adding more Eco earth soon, just gotta remove her for that.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
You don't need to worry about humidity, simply keep the sub damp...when it dries out, add more water. One water bowl is fine.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Nothing wrong with having water dishes, but for Pamphos you also need moist substrate.

And humidity does matter to an extent (not for hydrating the T, but for reducing the rate of dehydration); having moist substrate (or water dishes) will increase atmospheric humidity IN ADDITION to providing a source of drinking water, since water evaporating from a water dish or moist sub will add to the atmospheric humidity inside the enclosure

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Nothing wrong with having water dishes, but for Pamphos you also need moist substrate.

And humidity does matter to an extent (not for hydrating the T, but for reducing the rate of dehydration); having moist substrate (or water dishes) will increase atmospheric humidity IN ADDITION to providing a source of drinking water, since water evaporating from a water dish or moist sub will add to the atmospheric humidity inside the enclosure
Yeah lucky I gave her a plastic flower pot For a burrow don’t have to remove her when I added Eco earth substrate . I used to keep the substrate wet, just stopped doing it not sure why.
Does it look better? C61BFE58-7D5A-4D44-8BE9-2A5A7E73236C.jpeg 7D87C25B-F57D-4FA9-AD97-7576E1C3DA72.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah that's an improvement.

Do make sure to maintain good ventilation as well.
How much Saran Wrap should I remove from the lid to allow better ventilation? I put it there to hold moisture better . I’m guessing just a small amount?

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
all of it. If you want to restrict a bit, use a towel or something permeable..
Would a paper towel work ?
so far the phampho has barely left it’s burrow or wandered onto the newLy added eco earth . I dumped a half gallon water into the substrate so it’s damp but not swampy .

cold blood

Staff member
dont use saran wrap...dont use paper...if you need to use something, use an actual towel, I know you have towels.....with the amount of water you added, i would suggest keeping it free of anything.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
dont use saran wrap...dont use paper...if you need to use something, use an actual towel, I know you have towels.....with the amount of water you added, i would suggest keeping it free of anything.
Yeah wish I remembered we’re I got the bad idea to use Saran wrap for higher humidity , but I can certainly remove it as I already did for most cages that once had it.

You don't need to worry about humidity, simply keep the sub damp...when it dries out, add more water. One water bowl is fine.
I can remove water dishes eventually, I’m not sure which dish the spider uses.
Now the spider is moving to the other half the enclosure now that I added more eco earth and removed a useless plastic vine thing. So the spider is happier it seems, it used to just sit on the top soil.

Attachments

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
I can remove water dishes eventually, I’m not sure which dish the spider uses.
Now the spider is moving to the other half the enclosure now that I added more eco earth and removed a useless plastic vine thing. So the spider is happier it seems, it used to just sit on the top soil.
I use a sand/reptisoil/sphagnum mix. I know the enclosure is small. I got her in premolt and wanted to wait for a molt before rehousing her.
IMG_9234.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I use a sand/reptisoil/sphagnum mix. I know the enclosure is small. I got her in premolt and wanted to wait for a molt before rehousing her.
View attachment 446223
thanks !
Which percent of each do you use , and we’re do you get those type of hides at that are affordable? I have a few tanks that only have plastic hides .
Right now the tank is eco earth on-top if top soil with various moss.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
thanks !
Which percent of each do you use , and we’re do you get those type of hides at that are affordable? I have a few tanks that only have plastic hides .
Right now the tank is eco earth on-top if top soil with various moss.
2 parts reptisoil. 1.5 parts sand. 1 part sphagnum. I’m not sure about cork. I buy 15-18lb at around 120$

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I revisit this old thread and I had it too dry now it’s too wet mold is now forming so I have to let that area dry out. Kicking myself for not buying springtails now I see they’re like $20 locally. Can’t afford that for one tank so I’ll just let it dry out. IMG_4238.jpeg

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
That one springtail culture can be divided amongst all your tanks if you let it establish. Throw in a mushroom to attract them and then move the mushroom to the tank of your choice. Unless you get arid ones they will live as long as you keep the substrate moist. When you start to see them collect in the water bowls, just blow them back into the enclosure. That will be your sign that the substrate is too dry for their liking (or survival) but usually by then they've done their job.

They will move tanks too. I found some in my T albo water dish because I keep the substrate dry.

I got my springtails at Petco for $15 last year, I've never had to replace.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
What I do is use a turkey baster, insert it a few inches into the substrate, then basically inject water into the lower layers. It will evaporate through the upper layers, and the spider can burrow to access more moisture. When you notice that it's dry, add more. Do this in addition to overflowing the water dish once or twice a week and it should be fine. First though, you need to improve ventilation and let that moldy substrate dry out.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
What I do is use a turkey baster, insert it a few inches into the substrate, then basically inject water into the lower layers. It will evaporate through the upper layers, and the spider can burrow to access more moisture. When you notice that it's dry, add more. Do this in addition to overflowing the water dish once or twice a week and it should be fine. First though, you need to improve ventilation and let that moldy substrate dry out.
Yeah I gotta let the mold dry out , what a pain I just can’t afford springtails . I saw some stuff in my water dish but turns out it we just mites. Yet to catch springtails. :(

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Still having more problems with mold, I might have to remove the bad substrate.
IMG_5450.jpeg IMG_5448.jpeg IMG_5449.jpeg

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
How much water are you actually putting in there? It looks almost swampy. Btw a lot of big chain pet stores now sell springtail cultures and they're pretty cheap.